honest - rei brown

"You summoned me, my Lord?" Kakashi bowed as a greeting after being granted entrance. He stood with both arms at his side. When he got the call alone, he already knew where this was headed. The time has finally come.

"Yes, thank you for coming." Lord Hiruzen spoke, holding his pipe leisurely. He placed three files on his desk for Kakashi. "It's time, Kakashi."

"I see." His tone was formal, but he was hiding his excitement. He was finally reuniting with Naruto and he couldn't wait to start. However, a lump in his throat had formed. He knew, he had been paying attention. He had a feeling that he won't escape the old dynamics of Team 7. His worries were further confirmed once he got to know the rest of his students. As he skimmed through the files, a little chuckle came out once he saw Naruto's identification picture. His silly otōto. Then there was this Uchiha kid, and that Haruno girl. Bubbles seemed to form in his throat. Could he do it?

"Have you heard what happened?"

"From Iruka, yes." He nodded, referring to how Naruto earned his forehead protector. "I'm glad he's safe after that incident. I can already see his prospect as a shinobi of the Leaf."

"Will you accept this team of genins?"

"I shall dedicate my life to them." Kakashi's tone was filled with determination and eagerness,

"Don't they remind you of someone?" Hiruzen smirked,

"Yes, they do. With that knowledge, I hope we can be better. Thank you for trusting me with them."

"All right then." He took a drag of his pipe and blew a cloud of smoke in the air, "I wish you good luck. You'll meet your team tomorrow. Their future will be in your hands... Kakashi-sensei..."

He rolled his lips at his title. Although it wasn't new, he was committed to keeping this one. The one he longed for. The one he patiently waited for. It had a different ring to it. Kakashi-sensei. He was already imagining Naruto, with Kushina's fiery attitude and Obito's fat mouth, calling him that. He gets to extend Minato and Kushina's wish. They must be looking down at him with relieved smiles.

"Excuse me." Another voice came from behind. There wasn't any knock on the door, so it was safe to assume that it was an urgent matter. More importantly, only Anbu members can do that. To appear and disappear at will in the Hokage's office. "Lord Hokage, pardon the intrusion."

Kakashi recognised that voice. He hasn't heard that voice for a longest time. "Shall I leave?"

Hiruzen glanced at the Anbu member, reading into his eyes as it is the only thing that can be seen behind the mask. He understood immediately and nodded. "No, stay. This concerns you."

He nervously shifted in his place. What could possibly be going on? Who is this about? A million thoughts collected and swirled around his head like a storm brewing. He thought he could finally have a peaceful life. No, impossible, he is a shinobi. It was inevitable. There will always be something. "Understood."

"What have you found out, Tenzo-taicho?"

Tenzo rose from his stance, straightening his knee that was on the floor. He placed his arms on his side and squared his shoulders. His almond-shaped eyes stole a glance at his old captain's back, and he swallowed the lump in his throat. He was about to deliver bad news. He had a whole report drafted in his head, but with Kakashi there, he was hesitant. So this is why Anbu doesn't let their members' emotions be involved. Hesitation leads to nervousness, and then doubt will later follow.

"Spill it, Tenzo." Kakashi impatiently gritted his teeth, already seething for what was about to come. He still had his back on his old teammate, also hesitant to see. What could it possibly be this time?