Prologue

Hi everyone, welcome to my first original story! My writing still has a long way to go so let me know if there are any grammatical errors or places to improve! Enjoy the first chapter. 

***

The sun beat down upon the rickety wagon unhindered by clouds or the shade of trees. Despite its chipped and cracked wood and the unremarkable appearance of the driver, it was a surprising sight to the villagers in town. Etched into the side of the wood was a family crest. And a family crest upon a wagon at this time of the year meant one thing - someone had passed the servant selection for the Duke's estate.

For a far-off town like this, where even messages from the palace sometimes didn't reach, it was astounding for a candidate to pass the exam, even more so the selection.

A few people paused what they were doing as the carriage passed, curiosity getting the better of them. As it trundled away into the distance, they slowly went back to their lives, wondering in the back of their minds who the person may be.

Cecylia was on her way back from the weekly market when she saw the wagon. A basket full of vegetables slung over her arm, she watched as the rickety thing ambled in the direction she was heading. Speeding up her pace slightly, she followed the carriage, careful to stay far enough to avoid the plume of dust it left in its wake.

"I understand what you're saying but there must have been a mistake."

"Am I interrupting?" Cecylia asked hesitantly, stopping her father in his tracks.

Standing in front of him was the wagon driver, holding a letter in his hands. "Are you Cecylia?" he asked, turning to her the moment she spoke.

"I am," she replied, adjusting her collar and straightening her shoulders.

"Then this is for you," he said, pressing the letter into her hands and climbing back into the driver's seat. "Collect your belongings, we have things to do."

Her father was still spluttering behind her, so Cecylia thought it would be best to address that before he actually passed out.

"I...may have applied for the selection exam at the Duke's estate," she said, leaning away slightly.

There was a pause.

Then a quiet, foreboding, "what."

By now, her mother and brothers had heard the commotion. They came out just in time to hear her explanation, and their mouths were slack and eyes staring at her as if she'd suddenly sprouted wings like a fairy.

"You do what?" asked her mother.

Cecylia could sense impending doom, so she hurriedly added, "the wages are decent, and we get holidays to visit family. Plus they give you clothes, food and accommodation. It's a really good opportunity."

"Yeah, if you don't consider that you could die at any time," her brother remarked. "What are you thinking?"

She waved him off, "regardless of where I go there's always that risk. Going to the estate will let me learn, see things, and explore. Maybe we'll save up enough to go somewhere else."

"I thought you were okay with staying and learning from the local seamstress," her father said.

"We all know that's until I get married off and have to do what my husband wants," Cecylia frowned. "I just, I just want to see something new."

"But sweetie, how will you protect yourself?" her mother asked gently. "You don't have a Blessing or anything like that."

"Way to dig it in," she grumbled, "and I've managed nineteen years without one, I'm sure a few more won't change anything."

Her mother frowned more, a hand on her chin.

"Are you almost ready?" The driver asked, completely missing the mood of the group.

Cecylia ran into the house, staring down at the ground to avoid her family's gaze, and headed to her room. She didn't have many belongings, just some writing material and spare clothes. Tossing them into a worn-down suitcase, she hastily latched it up and flew down the stairs and out the door.

"If you're sure..." her mother said quietly.

"I'm sure," Cecylia replied with a smile. "I'll write, I promise. And I'll stay out of trouble and keep my head down."

She clambered into the wagon, mindful of the splinters, and waved. "I love you all, I'll see you when I go on break!"

Her family echoed her words, and she stared at them, waving until the wagon turned a corner and they were out of her sight.

"You didn't tell them you applied?" the driver suddenly asked, when they reached the main road.

"They knew I took the exam, but they didn't know I passed," Cecylia replied, playing with a stray vegetable leaf that had stuck to her while she hastily left the basket on the kitchen table.

She continued speaking, "I think deep down they knew it was for the best. My brothers want to study more, but tuition is expensive. Being a servant at the Duke's place pays much better, and the local school doesn't teach girls my age anyways."

The driver was looking at her from the corner of his eye, and their gazes met. She gave him a small smile, asking, "how is life at the estate?"

He turned away, blankly staring at the road. "Same as any other place. Do your job, don't question the nobles, and don't step out of your bounds."

Cecylia used her suitcase to shield her from the sun as he continued.

"Most importantly, choose your side wisely."

"My side?" she repeated.

"That's all I can say," he shrugged. There was an air of finality around him, and she knew the conversation was over.

As the rhythm of hooves hitting the ground continued, Cecylia sank into contemplation. Picking sides...it seemed like politics wasn't something she could escape. It should have been expected, nobles were always somehow related to politics.

The unrelenting heat sank into her, and she gave up thinking. It was the first time she left her hometown, may as well try to enjoy the scenery.

Estate problems were problems for future her. 

AN: Future her is gonna hate her