Chapter 3

"General, I doubt if it's a good idea."

"But nothing will totally happen," Feliks answered Hanna. "I can manage. The twisted wrist isn't a problem."

Then the major and the captain exchanged the knowing looks.

"General, please stay in the hutment. It will be better and safer for you, sir. Please understand that you can... impede the operation a bit. Furthermore, something can happen to you, with the sprained wrist it's hard to defend yourself and that transit it's going to be really big," Hanna insisted.

Poland started thinking. He knew the person who had been worrying about him and hadn't let him do stupid things...

"Feliks, please..."

"Nie, Liet, I'm totally going! End of the story!" persisted Poland, resting against cushions.

"You're completely broken, you won't even sit for a second on a horse."

"I can manage, totally."

He rose to the sitting position with difficulty. While rising he had such a face as though he was sitting on spines.

His body was covered with bandages. Under his left eye there was a big, purple bruise, and many scratches on his face.

Toris sighed; the last plan that Feliks had come up with, although it had worked, had ended in the blond's critical condition. Now he looked like something the cat dragged in. He could barely move, let alone back a horse.

"Feliks, you hardly sit. How do you want to back a horse?"

"I can handle it totally, Liet. I won't leave my people alone."

Lithuania rolled his eyes and sighed. He won't let him go, anywhere. He took a step in the direction of the bed, leaned one knee on the duvet, pressed his friend's forehead with his hand and easily leaned him back against the cushions. Poland hissed with pain.

Toris said, having taken his hand off, "You are going nowhere. You are completely savaged. I know you don't want to leave your people, but you won't manage, understand it. Feliks, I mean well for you."

The grumpy blond looked to the side. After a moment he looked at Lithuania again and said with an offended tone, "I totally, kindly accept it. But Ivan is mine," he added.

The brown-haired smiled.

"Naturally, Ivan is yours. I must go now."

When he was about to go off, Feliks said, "Liet?"

"Yes?"

"Take care of yourself."

"I will," he answered and vanished behind the door.

He sighed. Indeed, Lithuania had always cared about him. Now it was different, but maybe he would have listened to Hanna? It was difficult to defend oneself with the sprained wrist, especially that it was his right hand.

"If I totally have to, I will stay."

"Thank you, general."

Because he was supposed to stay in the camp he was just tending the preparation. It was a remarkable action; they'd attack a night train with an armoured carriage. When it started darkening, the majority of the division set out to a railroad. There had stayed just a few soldiers with Feliks in the camp.

He was finishing his soup, sitting by the fire which was fading slowly. He was pondering why Hanna resembled him Toris so much? She was a bit similar to him in appearance... slightly much. Of temper? Let's not deceive one another, she was talking Feliks out of somewhat foolish ideas, taking care of others... She was almost a mirrored reflection of Toris. When he saw or heard her as she was talking some remarks or giving orders only Toris was coming to his mind. But Toris currently hated him. So, sorrow and questions were originating in Poland's heart, entangling the limb of grief, which was upholding the great desire for conversation. Even though he knew the reasons for Toris' acts against the Poles. But one, small fruit grew on the tree. The fruit of hope. It was growing more and more when Feliks was thinking about a talk and an encounter. He really wanted to explain everything himself. But he consulted that there was the war and probably when Lithuania had just seen Poland he'd try to hurt him "slightly" at least. He sighed. Despite his whole willingness, the priority was the uprising. He couldn't let himself do something reckless if the situation with Toris wasn't very bad. The fact is, actually, he was fighting off the Polish resistance movement, but he wasn't a Gestapo officer; he neither tortured people nor sent them to the camps. He was analysing reports and was extending an agent net. He was conveying captured to the Germans to keep his hands clean or he just couldn't conduct interrogations. Feliks preferred to believe the second option; he was sure that Toris wouldn't have gone that far - to violence.