// 003 //

The harbinger before you deepened his smile at your words as if he was a rattlesnake about to coil around you and wring the life out of you

 The harbinger before you deepened his smile at your words as if he was a rattlesnake about to coil around you and wring the life out of you. His true expression was hidden behind a mask that you wouldn't dare to even attempt to see underneath, as you were sure that only the deepest depths of hell were hidden behind it.

You reached behind yourself to undo the hook on the back of your dress—it was a one-piece dress and lacked the difficulty of undoing each hook on the back of a corset. You released your grip on the top of the dress and allowed it to slide down your shoulders and onto the floor, leaving you in nothing save for a plain white undershirt and your worn-out pantaloons.

In the face of your embarrassment, the Doctor let out a breath through his nose in pure amusement. "I see...it seems that you're far more determined than you initially came off as. Not bad, woman—however I find that your body lacks any sort of seductive qualities, therefore boring me in the process. I have absolutely no clue how any of your clients find you beguiling in the slightest."

He's obviously just testing me. In truth, you doubted that he would've cared even if he had found your body 'seductive.' You were heavily skeptical of the idea that he could find anything seductive that didn't have to do with any severe gore or violence. You had managed to surpass his initial expectations which was already enough of an accomplishment and there was no need to go any further today. The best course of action would be to act submissive in this situation and back off.

"I apologize that I couldn't meet your expectations." Reaching down to pull the dress back up, you hooked the back once more and took a step away from him.

From the information that you had gathered about the Doctor, you assumed that he would likely send you away without feeding you. If that speculation was incorrect, then that would mean that you would only have to continue to deal with and dodge his various attempts to blow the gaff of my alias which was an inherently worse fate.

The hallway was freezing to the point where any normal human would be shivering even by the standards of Snezhnaya, but the Doctor seemed to pay no mind. You were aware that your own arms were shaking no matter how desperately you tried to cover up how uncomfortable you were; but there was nothing that had come up so far that was out of your predictions so you had purposefully done some preparation so that you could better handle the cold. After all, the Doctor was hardly a human being himself–why should he even care about the temperature?

Everything about him defied the standards set for a human being, so there was no surprise in the fact that he had likely managed to alter himself with experiments to the point where trivialities such as temperature had no affect.

"Return to your chambers," he gestured with his hand towards the door, leaning his cheek snarkily on his other palm, "or perhaps you wish to stay with me a little while longer?"

If I stay longer, the chance of my death will surely rise. You bowed your head to him and turned away, striding out of the dining hall maintaining the same dignity you had displayed the moment you walked in. Such a minor embarrassment won't faze me.