Soundstage 42

BACKSTORY

Opening up in 1990 when Universal Studios Florida opened this soundstage 42. It has been 3 different attractions in it's life span. From 1990 until 2002 it was "The Funtastic World Of Hanna-Barbera." Then from 2002-2011 it was rethemed to "Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast." Finally in 2011 it was rethemed one final time to what it currently resides as "Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem"  

The Funtastic World Of Hanna-Barbera

This ride was a motion simulator ride, and as you can tell one of the parks original attractions. The ride follows the story of classic Hanna-Barbera characters such as Dick Dastardly, Muttley, Elroy Jetson, Yogi Bear, Boo-Boo Bear, Huckleberry Hound, The Jetsons, Flintstones, and Scooby-Doo. This ride lasted about 8 minuets from start to finish not including the pre-show. 

PRE-SHOW

The pre-show of the ride sets up the story for the ride. It shows Dick Dastardly and his side kick Muttley kidnapping Elroy Jetson. The pre-show also showed the Hanna-Barbera creators showing off their different characters and how they created them and how animation has changed from when they started their characters to the 1990s. 

RIDE EXPERENCE

The ride it's self follows Yogi and Boo-Boo in rockets chasing down Dick Dastardly. Riders are seated in seats that move with the screen and create a motion ride experience. Now inside the ride the main power source of the rocket that the riders are in is a giant rubber band. This rubber band is so powerful that it takes the riders all the way back to the city of Bedrock from the Flintstones. The riders dodge vehicles and pedestrians some of which include Wilma Flintstone and Betty Rubble. The riders also end up accidently chasing Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble down the street. The riders then fly into the sky through a vortex shooting the riders into a cemetery in the middle of the night. They end up dodging ghosts and Scooby and Shaggy driving the Mystery Machine. The riders chase Dastardly into another vortex this time putting them into the futuristic city of Orbit City from the Jetsons. The riders fly down a roller coaster track which allows George Jetson to rescue his child from the grasp of Dick Dastardly and Muttley. The cops end up catching Dastardly and Muttley and throw them into a flying jail cell. The ending of the ride consists of the riders flying into a giant balloon that says end and Yogi gives the rides one last final farewell. 

POST-SHOW

The post show of the ride consists of a bunch of interactive activates about the technology of the time that was geared towards children. Following this area was a giftshop that consisted of merchandise of the classic Hanna-Barbera characters.