Chapter 30

"Kill the spy," McCreary ordered, his voice cold and detached.

"Wait!" I managed to call out, struggling to speak. I had to leverage whatever trust McCreary still had in me. "We need to talk to her."

McCreary paused, considering. "What do they want from her?" he asked, his gun now pointed menacingly at Madi.

"Hey, hey, hey. Point it at me, not at her," I commanded, trying to protect her. To my surprise, McCreary obliged, shifting his aim towards me.

"I don't know," I lied, trying to buy time. "But if you kill Echo, we'll never find out."

Instead of shooting, McCreary struck Echo with the butt of his gun, rendering her unconscious. "When they're done talking, kill her," he instructed his men. "Thank you, Kegan. Your mother's been a real help. Now that we have our missiles back, it's time to end this so both of our children can live happily ever after."

I carefully lifted Echo and laid her on a cot, trying to make her as comfortable as possible under the circumstances. Despite our recent fight, I couldn't hold it against her. She was just defending the man she loved, and now, thanks to me, Bellamy was likely dead.

"How's your head?" I asked softly as she began to stir.

"How's yours?" Echo retorted. "I imagine becoming a traitor in the eyes of everyone you ever cared about must suck."

"It does... but if it keeps Madi safe, then I can live with it," I admitted, the weight of my choices heavy on my shoulders.

Echo had every right to be angry with me. My actions had not only endangered Bellamy but also Raven, who had become like family to her during their time in space.

"The great Wanheda," Echo mocked bitterly. "Willing to do anything to protect his people. Correction: person. Too bad she doesn't appreciate it."

Her words stung, but they were not without truth. I had made decisions that I knew would tarnish my reputation, perhaps irreparably so, all in the name of keeping Madi safe. The cost of those decisions was becoming increasingly evident, and as I sat there with Echo, I was acutely aware of the personal toll they were taking on me and those I cared about.

Echo's biting words cut deep, but they also ignited a spark of anger in me. "We've all got blood on our hands, don't we?" I retorted sharply. "Or do you think those people you blew up in Mt. Weather don't count because you were following orders?"

Her response was laced with venom. "I should've killed you when I had the chance."

"Well, that makes my dilemma a little easier, then," I snapped back, my patience wearing thin.

Echo's anger was palpable, but so was her confusion. "What dilemma?" she asked.

"Those men over my shoulder have orders to kill you as soon as we stop talking. I prefer they didn't do that," I explained, my tone more even as I tried to regain control of my emotions.

"Why do you care?" she questioned, her gaze shifting to the sleeping men.

"Because Bellamy loved you. You were good for him, and he was good for you," I said, trying to convey a sense of sincerity despite the tension between us.

She huffed dismissively. "What?"

"Bellamy's not dead, Kegan," Echo revealed, her voice heavy with accusation. "At least he wasn't until he... he survived your betrayal in Polis long enough to march into your betrayal here. You helped your mother heal these people. The slaughter of Wonkru is just as much on you as it is on them. What, now you care about Bellamy?" she sneered.