SCMT!Mom is best girl

A lot of people have felt anger, both justified and unjustified, towards both parents in the SCMT universe. This is a short chapter to delve deeper into what specifics exist as far as her character goes (with some bits and bobs of SCMT!Dad, who is less talked about

Neither parent in this universe is a bad person, or even a bad parent to be honest w/ you all. They've both become a bit more distanced from Y/n over time, mainly due to Y/n becoming more isolated of his own accord through transfering to an online school prior to the beginning of the story. Y/n is... in a way, your typical angsty teenager. He's going through a lot with himself, figuring out who he is, and being exasperated with his parents, even when they are trying genuinely to connect with him.

They were so shocked when he came out because (while they'd been speaking about how something was definitely going on with him and his mom did suspect he might be queer due to his oddly extensive knowledge she'd picked up while they spoke in the past) they didn't really catch most of the "obvious hints" that we who've been submerged in the community or memes might.

SCMT!Y/n is an only child, who hadn't had IRL friends in a year or two, and his parents were worried. Y/n didn't share much with them up until near the end of SCMT, where you can see his relationship with his mom has really shifted.

His mom was always trying her best, speaking to him in the ways that her own family and parents had to her. Sure, maybe some of you might think "why would she call a 17 year old her princess" but as her only child and pride and joy, and coming from an older generation, those are all genuine terms of endearment coming from her.

Even in current time DCMT where Y/n is 18+ his mom definitely still calls him her handsome baby prince. That's just who she is.

As a rough sketchdown of her backstory, she comes from a worse childhood than Y/n that left her with anxiety she has only partially dealt with. She wants to make the best life for him possible, which can end with her being overprotective or oversheltering. Sometimes that goes too far. She's always trying her best, and the two should really have spoken earlier. Y/n's teen angst made that... difficult.. given how little some teens listen to their parents at all to begin with.

As far as SCMT!Dad, he grew up in a real "men don't cry" sort of family, and is more emotionally open than his own father, but still distant. In the background, especially once the whole family starts communicating more, he grows more open. If he pops up in DCMT you might even get some actual speaking parts lmao

So, while I don't know each of your individual parents, I can say that SCMT!Mom is best girl and deserves better from all of you /lh