He kept his promise.

TW: this part's gonna briefly mention some of y/n's childhood trauma, specifically child abuse, sexual, emotional and physical, and neglect. There's also a brief mention of a panic attack. Please don't read if you think this is gonna trigger you, and please please please reach out for help if you're struggling.

I'm sorry if it's not a very universal storyline, but I was struggling with where I could take this that would lead Emily and y/n closer.

The whole team was in having a paperwork day when Hotch made the familiar walk out of his office looking over your desks. You all looked up, knowing exactly what was coming next.

You stood up from your desk and made your way to the roundtable with everyone.

'Sorry folks, the paperwork will have to wait.' Hotch announced, as you all sat down.

'What have we got?' JJ asked.

Garcia picked the remote up, pointed it behind her at the TV and clicked a button several times. A series of images of children popped up on the screen.

'3 children were found dead in their home yesterday evening at around 11pm, right here on our doorstep. Cause of death: blunt forced trauma to the head.' Garcia stuttered, tears forming in her eyes.

'Who found them?' Rossi enquired.

'Their mother, Elaine Walsh. She made the call to 911.' Garcia replied, stifling the tears she so clearly wanted to let go of.

'Forgive me for asking,' JJ said, flicking through the file in front of her, 'but why did they want us in on this?'

'3 kids, serial. And the wife swears blindly it was her husband, the kids' father, who did it.' Hotch responded.

'Okay, so what do we know about him?' Emily questioned.

'He has a solid alibi. He says he was staying at a hotel for work, a 3 hour drive away. Police confirmed he checked into the hotel yesterday morning and his car was there at the time of the murder.' Hotch replied.

'Okay, so why is Mrs Walsh adamant it was him?' Emily asked in Hotch's direction.

'Abuse.' You replied, quickly, looking down at your file. Everyone turned to look at you. Hotch bowed his head ever so slightly, as if he agreed with you.

'How'd you figure that?' Morgan asked, perplexed. You kept your eye on the file, afraid if you looked up people would clock something in your eyes.

'This bruise.' You pointed at one of the boys' collar bones. Everyone looked down at their files. 'All three of the victims have one, each varying in healing time.'

'You got all that from a bruise?' Reid asked, confused. This was the first time you looked up.

'They're right.' Hotch confirmed. 'The mother told the police that her and the kids had been subject to this man's abuse for years.'

'Did she ever report it?' Rossi asked.

'No.' Hotch said, catching eye contact with you and lingering there for a second. Emily noticed and looked at the both of you suspiciously.

'Wait so, we've been called in to prove this man's guilty? Isn't that the police's job?' Morgan asked.

'No, we've been called in because the police don't believe Mrs Walsh.' Garcia replied.

'A mother who's never once reported any abuse in the 15 years of marriage, no concerns have ever been made by the school, no signs of abuse...' JJ pointed in your direction '...other than the one bruise on each of the child's collar bones, no hospital visits...' JJ looked down at the file, perplexed. '...at all actually... and a husband with a solid tight alibi.' Hotch nodded.