Chapter 43: Battle on the Wyrmwood Express (First Draft)

Kohrok couldn't dream. Kalashtar cant. But this night instead of the void before wakefulness he found himself glimpsing something in the dead of night. He could tell reality wasn't his own. This wasn't a dream, but instead a memory, Rok's memory.

The memory began with him rising from a large and lush bed, the size of it too big for one person. He found himself in a large stone room. His body was human, a large black braid brought over his shoulder.

Koh tried to call out for Rok but his voice was silent. Despite seeing from these eyes his actions were not his own. Suddenly a figure came through a large wooden door and moved toward a window. "Good morning, sire." The figure spoke as the pulled the curtains aside.

Koh's body spoke a familiar voice. "Good morning, Gaius." Rok spoke.

~

Just like a dream you don't want to end, Koh was woken early, but not by natural means. A large thud caused the whole train car to jump and the sound of people's screams became a choir. Koh had a rude awakening trying to discern reality from the 'dream' that had just happened.

Reef was already trying to calm the pets while Kag and Fourzen tried to get the door to their cabin open. Whatever cause that thud bent the metal on the roof inward, jamming the door. Kag had given Fourzen a dagger and they struggled to pry it open. People in the halls were running back and fourth.

Kohrok struggled to get his footing, rising from the floor when the train suddenly sped up. Fourzen and Koh went flying into one of the bunks while Reef and Kag held on. The pets were all panicking, even chowder couldn't bring himself to blink.

"Are we being attacked?" Reef questioned. "Bandits?!"

Kag ran over to their cabin's window to try and get a better look of what was happening outside. "I hope not." He muttered. "We're over a lake..."

"Get on the bunks." Koh ordered. Before anyone understood why Koh began to grow large. Kag barely made it in time to avoid being crushed. Kohrok dug his fingers between the shut doors and pressed against the ceiling, trying to loosen the dent. The metal scraped and cracked as he broke open one of the doors, enough for them to get out.

The entire time of their struggles the party could hear the thudding of footsteps and scraping metal above. Kohrok shrunk once again and started ushering them all out, but Fourzen hesitated then turned to try and get the pets to come. They refused.

Something hit the side of the train again, tilting the car for a moment. "Where's Galan and Gray!" Reef shouted. Kohrok began to struggle in place. Where were they.

Kag handed Fourzen a dagger. "Protect the pets." He asked then headed out the door.

"Where are you going!" Reef shouted after him as he pushed through the crowds of panicked people.

"The Roof! Seems to be where the party is!" Kag shouted back. Koh grabbed his swords and Reef summoned his blade, hooking it into his belt.

~

Galan and Gray were caught off guard. These bird-deer monstrosities the size of a horse came out of nowhere. The first came from above while they were playing with the storm clouds. It had dropped so quickly Galan was scratched as he hoped out of the way. The bird left a large dent in his wake as he lay on the ground prone.

The peryton began to shuffle toward him slamming its head onto the train trying to pierce Galan on its antler's. Galan couldn't find a moment to break free. Each time the creature slammed he could only just narrowly avoid it.

Gray had successfully hidden from the creature and began to look around for... well anything to use against it. Then she saw her hands. "Galan!" She cried channeling the sky's wrath. "Dodge this!"