Chapter 27: Hellfire

Queen Fyra flexed her paws, claws unsheathing and glinting in the light passing through the large windows of the throne room. She sat on a large ornate throne framed of gold and with velvet cushions. Hope sat silently beside the throne. A long red carpet stretched from the throne to the door, sitting atop the cold, grey cobblestone.

One wall held three large windows, separated by coloumns protruding slightly. The other wall was adorned with paintings, colourful ribbons, and tapestries as well as a small door, which served as the servant's entry. A large wooden door sat opposite the throne and was the main entrance to the room.

Royal advisers, a scribe and several servants were scattered across the throne room. Four menacing Pokémon waited silently at the foot of the throne. Their quiet demeanour was unnerving, and they exuded powerful auras.

Loc and Autumn had been chained and thrown to their knees before the Queen's guards. Autumn was strangely quiet, a distant look upon her face as she stared at the ground. Loc glared spitefully at Fyra, earning himself a slap from a Poliwrath, standing guard nearby.

"Regard the Queen with respect!" Poliwrath demanded, stepping back into line beside the others.

Sighing with disdain, Fyra shook her head and clucked her tongue. "Loc, Autumn, did I ever wrong you? I paid you well, made you important, put you in charge of many troops. Why did you turn against me?"

Loc took a deep breath, and the anger left his gaze for a moment, replaced by sorrow. "I am sorry, your majesty. You gave us many things. You gave us a comfortable bed, but we could not sleep. Not after what we saw. So much pain, and suffering; this is wrong."

Fyra exhaled slowly. "The question was rhetorical, and your opinion is irrelevant. You were useful to me once. I believe you can be again. Say that you'll come back and serve me. It would be a shame to dispose of such valuable tools."

Finally, Autumn lifted her head. Staring into the Luxray's eyes, Braixen smiled sweetly. "I'll see you in hell."

Scoffing, Loc nodded. "What she said."

Fyra merely smiled. "Disappointing, but not surprising." She waved a paw, and several guards began to advance on Loc and Autumn.

Hope's gaze turned downwards, and she sighed away from the scene before her. If only she was stronger. If only she hadn't left Grace that night, all those years ago. If she had just stayed with David, perhaps she could have been happy.

Those in the throne room froze as an explosion outside shook the windows. The din of battle could be heard nearby. Pokémon hurried to windows, desperate to find the source of the carnage.

Hundreds of Pokémon battled across the town. Already, houses were going up in flame. A once beautiful fountain lay destroyed. A stray energy beam scored the castle walls and shattered the windows, showering the throne room in glass.

Another explosion sounded nearby, and the massive doors were blown open, barely remaining on their hinges. In strode Grace, at her side were Ty and Soul, Evie, and Kin. Arlin rode atop Ty's shoulder and squealed a battle-cry.

Loc's jaw fell open and he stuttered, desperate to say something. Autumn's eyes lit like flames and a wicked smile crossed her face. The fight was on.

Using her psychic powers, Autumn unlocked the shackles on her and Loc – There was hope now. Bolting upright, Autumn struck outwards, sending a stream of fire directly at Fyra.

One of the four Pokémon, built of leaves and twigs, sluggishly moved in front of the fire, taking the attack head-on, and shielding Fyra. When Autumn's attack died out, the Pokémon was left standing, its body singed and wisps of smoke trailing off it, but it seemed otherwise unharmed.