Chapter Twenty-Three: Interviews Don't Warn of Innocence

"Saint Jerome Writing" by Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio (1607 or 1608), stolen 1984, recovered 1986 - value $30 million

Chapter Twenty-Three

"Good afternoon. This is Diane Bellim of 'Strut News'—how you stay in the know. I'm here with Eleanor Vaycker, former employee of Whitehill Museum and Art Gallery. As the most talked about figure of the art community in recent weeks, she's here to talk about the fateful night the famous painting 'The Weeping Widow' was stolen. The piece, recognized as the most well-known work by mysterious artist Wille Le'Garrigue, was taken in the dead of night this past September by who authorities believe to be an elite criminal team. Good to see you, Eleanor."

"Good to see you, too, Diane. Thanks for having me."

"Now, Eleanor, you've had an eventful past few months. It's no small feat to become public enemy number one of every museum in the world over a single night! You've been bombarded with accusations, plagued with suspicions, and forced to face allegations you had a role in the theft. Walk me through it from the beginning. How did you feel when everything started?"

"Well, Diane, I wasn't thrilled," I admitted with a laugh. "I spent so many years admiring art and wanting to be a part of its preservation. Having my peers turn on me so fast was... hurtful, to say the least. But of course, emotions run high when something so valuable and culturally important is taken."

"That's certainly a forgiving way of looking at it. To see the online criticisms of you, you'd think the case was closed—or that you were guilty! Articles of your arrest are just about everywhere." The interviewer smiled, supplying her own giggle under the bright lights around us.

"That's the funny thing, Diane, I wasn't arrested. I think there was some confusion about that particular point, or rumors flying around. For the record, I wasn't arrested, no case was closed, nothing like that! In fact, I'm sure the FBI's art crime team is still investigating a long list of suspects to find the painting. I wish them the best of luck. They certainly have their hands full with how much gets stolen and traded around the world."

"Do you have any insight on these thefts, or ideas of where they should look?"

Seriously, like I'm going to answer that on television?

"To be truthful, I have no idea where the painting is at this very moment. As with any other piece, I hope it's being properly cared for wherever it is. I suppose the thieves have it, or they've passed it on," I said. I took another breath, keeping my expression and body calm. "Look, I'm going to be honest here. I know how it looked when I was found on scene, and I know what's being said of me, but quite frankly, I'm surprised."

The room was holding its breath, and the red light above the camera blinked in encouragement. Diane happily seized the bait with both hands and sunk her teeth in.

"Surprised? What part was surprising to you?"

"Like I said, people turned on me, and they turned on me fast. Yet I couldn't even tell you the connection of some of the sources that've come forward about me. Not to be that person, but I wouldn't believe half of what's been said! I'm sorry, but how would any of these people know the real me? It's the strangest people coming forward, Diane. It's like asking the valet about my childhood, how the hell would they know?"

"Seems strange to me, too! So back to the FBI, are they still actively investigating you?"

I shook my head, keeping my relaxed pose on the plush blue sofa with an offhand shrug. "My lawyers said not to talk about it, but I'll be clear, I have no idea. Nothing has been said to me about the status of the investigation. Like I said, I haven't been arrested. I can't think of any real evidence they could've found to still be coming down so hard on me. You'd think there's bigger fish to fry."