The Path

(Ahhh yes, procrastination is strong in this one)

After what seemed like forever, the World Meeting was over. Once more America, England, and France fought. Luckily no fists were thrown, like last time.

Everyone stands up, collecting their stuff. I sigh, standing up and looking for Ivan. Whom is already walking out the door. I stand up quickly walk to him, so I do not miss speaking with him. Once I'm close enough, I tap the other man's shoulder to earn his attention. He turns around with a slight annoyed face but once he sees its me, he smiles.

"Ivan? C-could I um, talk to you in uh, private?" My voice cracks as I say private, but of course private usually means something bad is going to happen. But only I know what's going to happen.

Ivan nods, a smile on his face. "Da' Matvey, just lead da vay." He replies in his stereotypical Russian accent that the author tried hard on. With that, I walk off with him following behind. Quickly I walk outside and behind the building, so no one will come by.

Ivan turns his back on me, looking around at the bright day we're having. With his back turned, he starts to speak. "So vhat did you vant to tell me, Matvey?" I take a deep breath, slowly reaching for the .45 ACP that I had hidden on my person.

"I'm sorry." I say, trying to keep my voice as full of confidence as possible. Sighing, I raise the gun to his head, so if I were to shoot; the bullet would go between his eyes. As I cock the gun, Ivan turns around. I know he knows that sound too well.

"Matvey?" Ivan's eyes go wide, his hands moving up in a submissive motion. He does it slow to not scare me. "Vhat are you doving?"

I feel tears sting my eyes, I don't want to do this. But I have no choice. "Ivan, I am so sorry, but..." My hand starts to shake, but I can't stop it. There has to be another way to stop Ivan. Now that I think about it, how can I know that "Future England" was truthful, or even real.

"I forgive you, Matvey." He takes a step forwards, cautiously. I can easily tell he's scared, but it also looks like he trusts that I won't shoot him. I don't even know if I can trust myself to SHOOT him. "Just... Please, let's talk about."

"No!" I raise my voice, that only causes Ivan to take a step back. "I have to do this, I HAVE NO CHOICE." My hand shakes more, but in the end, I know it's not going to stop. I'm a coward, why wouldn't I be scared. There is a second that passes with Ivan trying to find a way out, but suddenly I feel something warm run down my cheek. It is obvious it's one of my own tears.

Seeing that as a sign I'm having second thoughts, Ivan takes a step forwards again. "Matvey, please this is so much unlike you." My breath hitchs as he takes another breath. "I know you won't shoot me." He takes another step, he's too close. "And if you do shoot me, vhat vill the others think? Vhat vill America think?"

What he says punches me in the gut. I never really thought of that. Ivan takes one more step, so if he wants to; he could easily take the gun from me. Yet he doesn't even make that move.

Finally I sigh, making up my mind. "Ivan, I am so, so very sorry. I would really appreciate if you forgive me." I take another deep breath. "But I want to say one thing before I do a very bad thing." I swallow the saliva that built up in my mouth, I want to say what I want to say as clearly as possible. "I love you."

 Bang.