Chapter 4- Cruel Storms and Jealousy Wars

Because you're a gem in a pile of ash and ruin, a ray of sun in the darkest crevice on earth. Because I've become addicted to that light, even though it's begun to burn me in the cruelest way. Fire away. -Drew

"So... you're the ex?" I look at the man across from me without saying anything, choosing to lift the bottle of beer in my hand to my lips. The way his smirk widens and I'm tempted to haul him over my shoulder and hurl him far, far away from us.

Far from my family.

"And what are you, the toy?" He laughs, but neither one of us is foolish enough to ignore the tension in the air. The cackling tension that stirs from stepping into unknown territory. And this place, these people, they were my territory.

Even Khloe, she was mine most of all along with Lucy. Even if I am the dumbass that caused our distance.

"Well, you know what they say about toys? Love them enough and they become permanent." Now it was my turn to chuckle, an unexpected response judging by his frown.

"So do scars, pretty boy."

With another laugh, I began my trek towards Kohl, who stood by the grill glaring at our unwelcome guest. You could say he took the break up pretty hard. Had to do a lot of groveling to get back on his good graces, and people say romance is dead.

"What'd he say, did he give us an excuse to kick him out?" He flips what look to be another charred burger patty on the grill. I glare at the meat, another terrible meal to chew through, as much as he tried Kohl was a terrible cook. "I can't believe Khloe is doing this to us."

Not sure about that.

My jaw clenches as he flips the same burger patty again.

Bro, it's fucking done.

"Hey, why don't you go talk some sense into your sister and I man the grill?"

"And get in the way? No way, plus I know you guys all love my cooking. No worries, I'm having fun. You go over there and put the moves on her and give us all our romance back." He shoos me away with a firm look. Yeah, we may have over-embellished his cooking skills while trying not to hurt his feelings the first time he made pasta.

Tip number one: it shouldn't be crunchy. Now we all pay the price. Shaking my head in regret, I move over to where Khloe is sitting and chatting with Kim. They both quiet down once I get closer and I clench my fist in anger. Khloe used to share all her secrets with me, I was the one she whispered conspiratorially to and I ruined it. All because I'd been fucking scared.

Scared of losing her, scared of not being worthy of her. And now, I didn't even have her.

"You're brother's burning the meat again," I settle for being friendly while simultaneously settling on a chair next to her. Her nose wrinkles up at my statement while Kim rolls her eyes.

"Suck it up, Drew, you gave everyone food poisoning when you made fish tacos," Kim exclaims.

"That was Kohl," Khloe pipes up and Kim leans back, remembering that fiasco no doubt.

"Ok, well he definitely made us all throw up when he made that god awful seafood pasta."

"That was Khloe," I throw my head back laughing. "You guys really were not blessed with cooking skills."

"Hey, I've learned to do the basics at least," just as expected her nostrils flare indignantly and I smile at the look. Countless teasing memories are associated with that look in my eyes that it becomes a little hard to breathe. Whoever thought that being friends with the love your life was easy was a fucking idiot. I take another long drag of my beer to cool myself off.