Princess of the Iron-Plated Ship

This is my contribution for this month.

There have been many shocking incidents, but I am still able to live my life in the same. Please forgive the slow progress of the story... I was writing what I wanted to write and it ate up quite a few chapters... I really am still inexperienced in many ways.

- Kazuhiro Kasami

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yoshiyori saw a ship approaching with a structure that looked out of place among the large fleet.

"What is that ship...?"

He was surprised to see a structure that looked almost like a high-rising building, which could be described as if it were made of stacked wood blocks. Then, a radio operator standing next to Agano spoke to her.

"Excuse me. Our fleet commander and his assistant aboard that ship... the battleship Fusō, would like to say hello to the person in charge here, if that's all right."

Agano, though energetic, was also polite in this regard, and she was courteous in introducing the fleet commander, who was their superior.

"...W-wait a minute. I'm going to ask the Princess."

Yoshiyori headed back to the ship.

"...What now?" Agano muttered anxiously, but less than two minutes later, Yoshiyori returned.

"Sorry to keep you waiting. I will be accepting the fleet commander and his assistant aboard this ship."

"Thank you very much."

A few minutes after receiving the report, a launch was unloaded from the Fusō and came alongside the Shikishima with Asahi and Fusou aboard. The man marveled as he observed the structure of the iron-plated ship.

"Impressive. It has gun sights just like the tekkōsen handed down from generation to generation. Is there a Lord Nobunaga in this world?"

"Lord Nobunaga...? Commander Asahi, do you respect Lord Nobunaga that much?"

"Why, yes. I would say that Lord Nobunaga is known for his 'speed of decision-making' and his patience, and in proportion to that, 'waiting for the right moment and making a move when he feels that heaven, earth, and man are in agreement.'"

Nobunaga Oda is generally associated with the images of a 'swift, harsh, ruthless, and modernity enthusiast' as in the saying, "If the cuckoo doesn't sing, kill it." In fact, although he fought the Azai and Asakura to a victorious conclusion at the Battle of Anegawa, it took several years to conquer their strongholds. Although there are two sides to the question of whether or not he was ruthless, Asahi did not think so.

Rather, even though he was betrayed and rebelled against more often than other warring feudal lords, he rather forgave those who rebelled or opposed him: Nobuhiro, the elder brother, Nobuyuki, the younger brother (who, however, had to be killed after the second time because he could no longer stand it), Katsuie Shibata (Katsuie was originally Nobuyuki's retainer), Hidesada Hayashi, Hisahide Matsunaga, and Murashige Araki, who refused to accept Nobunaga even though he said he would forgive them. In the first place, even Ieyasu Tokugawa, who formed an alliance with him after the Battle of Okehazama, was originally an ally of the Imagawa army, but Nobunaga easily formed an alliance with him after the war.

Some say that Nobunaga's seemingly harsh suppression of religion is strongly attributed to the fact that religious forces have intervened in politics and military affairs beyond the role of religion. In fact, the one who gave Nobunaga his name was a Zen priest and Nobunaga himself was a devotee. He was not an atheist by any means, as he visited Atsuta Shrine during the Battle of Okehazama while waiting for his rear forces, who had fled with only a few offerings, to assemble, and visited Ise Shrine during the invasion of Ise.