part one - gameplay, Plot, Endings

Game play ---

As John Ward, the player must travel through a disorienting forest of randomized trees and rocks, searching for the Martin home tucked deep in the woods. Ward carries with him a crucifix, which can be used to dispel whatever evils lurk beyond the trees. The game consists mostly of wandering about a dark forest, drawn to replicate the graphics of classic Apple II games like The Oregon Trail. The player must collect notes scattered throughout the forest to learn of the events that have brought John Ward into these woods, while utilizing John's crucifix to dispel attacks from a creature that periodically attempts to kill him.

The forest in which much of the game is set is randomized each time the player traverses to a new screen. Special locations, identifiable by specific landmarks (which often contain notes) are never randomized. These locations will always look the same and be located in the same positions, despite their surrounding areas changing appearance upon each visit. Traversing to the edge of the environment will loop the player around to the opposite side.

Plot -----

One year ago, the priests John Ward and Father Allred visited the Martin house to conduct an exorcism on the Martins' daughter, Amy. The exorcism proved fatal, with John and Amy being the only survivors.

On the failed exorcism's anniversary, John returns to Snake Meadow Hill Road to find the Martin house—and Amy with it—so that he may conduct the rite once more and finally finish what he started.

Endings --

"Murderer" Ending

John can find Amy bleeding out in the woods. Upon shooting her, she will fall, presumably dead. Upon returning to the car, John will drive away, only to be pulled over by a police car. A newspaper clipping shown afterwards details John's arrest for Amy's murder. This ending reveals that John is not an ordained minister; the exact implications of this are unknown, not being explicitly answered in any of the other games

"Father and Son" Ending

John returns to the shack with a mysterious gray man standing outside. Shooting him and returning to the car results in John driving away, only to be ambushed by Michael, who is hiding in the back of his car. A letter shown after details Father Garcia's report on Michael's exorcism.

"The Offering" Ending

John can discover an animal corpse in the woods surrounded by rocks. After shooting it and returning to the car, John will drive away. Soon however, figures in red robes appear along the sides of the road as the music distorts. John eventually comes to a stop, being faced with a cultist wielding a trident, with flaming logs on the road behind him. John's fate is left a mystery, as we are treated to a letter to Amy from a man named Gary. He becomes the series' main antagonist later on, and this ending marks his very first introduction.

"The Hunter" Ending

John can discover a deer standing in a clearing in the woods. Shooting it and returning to the car, John will drive away, only to hit a deer as the screen cuts to black. The scene fades back in to John, bloody and mangled, crawling back to his cross, having hit a tree, while being surrounded by deer. Just before he reaches it, a deer rears up and rushes at him. A newspaper article details the crash, stating that the body was horribly mangled.

"When Faith Endures" Ending

If John returns to the car with the gun still in hand, he is ambushed by Michael just before he can enter it. Upon shooting Michael, he will stumble back onto the road and be run over by a semi-truck. John will then drive away, pondering the events that have just happened and having faith that he did the right thing. A newspaper article then details Sterling's confusion over finding Michael's body, calling it a "chupacabra".

This is considered the canonical ending of chapter 1

--------
This is all from the wiki

-------

Words: 670