Chapter 10: Weird world

Monday morning, Davenport High School...

"Woah! You're early" Chen said surprised, approaching the bike rack.

A stampede of students came in, rushing through security, eager to get to breakfast. However, Rubio wasn't one of them. Instead, he waited nervously for his friend by the bike rack. The noise of the students and the machines in the entrance of the school was high, even at that hour.

The crowd was received by a huge poster at the front entrance of the school, announcing the closure of access to the Annex building indefinitely. It informed that a company was coming in on Friday to work on the damages caused by the bombing incident during the first week of school. Work will begin today and continue the following weeks. The sign urged parents to stay alert to their emails and notices sent by the school.

"Hey! We need to talk." Rubio said seriously.

"Alright" Chen said while coming down from his bike. Then, he rolled it to a stop and chained it. He noticed the silence from his friend and frowned. "You ok?"

"No. I texted you and waited all night! What happened?" Rubio responded annoyed.

"My lil brother messed up my phone. Right after I finished talking with you and Kaykay. He was with some friends in the yard playing. He made a huge mess and dropped my phone in the kiddie pool!" Chen lamented.

Both teens joined the huge crowd heading towards the metal detectors. They took off their backpacks, ready for inspection.

"Oh no!" Rubio said, shaking his head.

"Yeah. I dried it off as best as I could. Just gotta give it until tonight to turn it on." Chen said.

"Oh, ok! Where's Marv and the girls?" he said desperately.

"I don't know." Chen responded, shaking is head.

Both teenagers made it through security and began their way down the hall to get breakfast, when Rubio grabbed Chen's arm, making him stop. "Chen, you gotta help me."

"Why? What happened?" Chen asked concerned.

A group of boys came in and gathered next to them, watching something off one of their cellphones. Rubio pulled Chen farther to the side. He looked everywhere, while guiding his friend to a corner, between a closed storage door and some lockers.

Neither teenager noticed that Miss Sherryl Jackson, head of the disciplinary committee, was observing their every move, suspiciously. The bulky woman slid her way to the side of the entrance to get a better look at the boys. She tilted her head as the crowd of teens moved along.

"Dude, we gotta look up a car" Rubio whispered.

"A car?" Chen asked, also in a whisper. He frowned at Rubio, surprised.

Silence.

Another group of rowdy kids went by, as Chen kept quiet. Suddenly, the young Asian teen snapped, jumping out of his skin. "You mean a black car with a dude in a hoodie?"

Rubio froze. He couldn't believe Chen knew what he was talking about! He frowned, surprised at the question.

"How do you-" he began

He was interrupted by Chen who hushed him, placing a finger over his lips. He pointed over Rubio's shoulders at Leyla and Kelly coming in. The girls were picking up their belongings after going through the metal detectors. They were giggling and chatting cheerfully.

"There the girls!" Chen said pointing to the girls' direction.

Rubio immediately turned around. Both teens rushed over to them, as Miss Jackson kept her eye on the all four. They exchanged pleasantries, then made their way down the hall. Leyla caught a glimpse of the peeping lady.