Chapter Three

Salem

"Your hair is silver today," Satu noted.

Even though it was not time yet, we were making our way to homeroom to get our names marked. Since Devine High did not have a school bell system, Miss Satouri would walk the corridors ringing a bell. This signalled when we should go to our classes.

"Aunt coloured it again," I told her.

I did not completely trust anyone besides my aunt and Leo. Even though I considered Satu a friend, I would never trust her with my secrets. I did have faith in her to some extent. In the seven years we have known each other she has never betrayed my trust so that was something. Regardless, I was not about to be killed for the mere reason that my hair changed colour if she could not keep her mouth closed. Growing up, my aunt taught me that I should only trust her. In terms of Satu, I considered blood to be thicker than water. While being here I taught myself to keep my circle of friends small. That was the only way to survive in a place like this.

"It looks very pretty," she admired then laughed, "Your aunt always makes you her guinea pig though, Salem."

We walked past the various cliques within the school as we got closer to class. I did not usually pay them any attention, but one new development caught my eye.

"Annabelle and Mary are now with them?" I asked Satu

Satu cast a glance over to the group of people who thought they lorded over this school. I knew they picked on students. I stepped in one or two times when I felt sorry for the people they were harassing. They have never bothered me though.

"Yeah," she answered. "They started getting close to them sometime at the end of last year. They are one of them now."

They were all giggling and whispering among themselves. The females in their group wore long-sleeved black turtlenecks and knee-length skirts while the males wore the same top with black shorts or pants. My gaze locked on Mary in particular.

What would cause her to become a part of their group? Then again, her best friend Annabelle might have influenced her. The members of their clique were children whose parents sat on the council. Except for Mary, who was the daughter of Reverend Ward.

"What the hell are you looking at, you freak!" said s female voice that sounded somewhat familiar.

I stopped walking and looked for the bitch who cast the first stone. It was Annabelle, I see the newfound popularity has already flown to her fucking head. She looked nothing like how she did last year. Her black hair was now cut into a bob, lips that had never worn lipstick were now painted blood red and she had added a fake beauty mark below her nose.

Sometimes people would take offence when I looked at them. I only smiled when I was at home and had what many people would term a resting bitch face.

"I am looking at a sad little girl who has been corrupted and no longer knows who the fuck she is," I stated.

She glared at me enraged. "You little bitch-"

Peter grabbed her hand and she winced. A few heated words were whispered in her ear. She looked away from me and turned her back.

"They should know better than to pick something with us," Satu muttered.

I began walking once more. "Nothing makes us more special than the rest of the students here Satu. We all bear the same fate. Some just have it easier than others."

《●¤●¤◇●¤●¤》