Chapter 1

Short, Fat and Thin climbed up the rope ladder in this order, Fat's face showing obvious reluctance as he stuck his cold hands deeper into his pockets. Kiel, not concerned about them cutting the rope ladder while he was on it, grasped the stiff rope and shimmied his way up easily.

Thin hauled up the anchor while Short rolled up the rope ladder. Fat, a compass and map in hand, scurried to the helm.

"Oh, that's right," Kiel said like an afterthought, "I believe it's still common courtesy to ask for your names?"

The pirates busying round preparing for takeoff only hesitated for a brief moment.

Fat, who was making markings on his map, "I'm Pudgin."

Thin, going belowdecks, "I'm Bean."

Short, fiddling with the sail, "You can call me Halfdan."

Kiel nodded. Since Bean had disappeared from sight, he leaned against the ship's rail, feeling the tremor of the vessel through his spine. Whatever Bean was doing belowdecks made the ship give a shrill whine, vibrating as various machinery clicked and whirred to life. Halfdan unfurled the sails, and the ship slowly turned as Pudgin heaved the wheel.

Seeing Halfdan polish the lens of a telescope as he walked to the edge of the ship, Kiel stood beside him and looked down with interest at the shrinking land below.

"Halfdan, how does this flying vessel of yours float?"

"It's quite simple- there's a chunk of ore called helite in the engine room, which can be influenced to increase or decrease its buoyancy."

Halfdan looked quite proud at having knowledge to share, and patted his chest confidently.

"If you have anything you wish to ask, I'll be happy to help!"

"Is that so?" Kiel smiled.

Seeing such an open and sincere expression, Halfdan was momentarily flustered.

"Then, is helite rare? Are there many vessels like yours?"

"Ah, it's rare but not that much. Naturally, larger pieces fetch a higher price. There's also quality...our ship is actually one of the smallest ones- but she's quite reliable! As for how many flying ships there are...there's many, but also not many..."

Halfdan scratched his head, slightly frustrated at his inability to explain. Kiel smiled again, dazzling him once more. Patting his shoulder, he spoke sincerely to him.

"Thank you, Halfdan. If there's anything else I'll like to know, I'll have to trouble you."

"I-It's no problem at all!"

Wait wait...why am I being all chummy with the Shade?

Halfdan, recovering his senses, looked around but Kiel had already left.

                          ———~~<~>~~———

Bean met Kiel as he was ascending a metal ladder to the ship's living quarters. Kiel was looking around thoughtfully, with every little bolt or pipe capturing a fair share of his attention. Bean quickly plastered an amicable smile on his face, coughing to attract the Shade's attention and guiding him to a metal door.

"Your Honor, please use my room during your stay here, if you won't mind my shabby quarters."

He opened the door, an odd sense of inferiority surfacing as Kiel scanned the interior of the room, looking back at him.

"You're too kind. Where would you stay then?"

"I can bunk with Halfdan, he won't mind."

"If that's the case, I won't be polite."