𝐏 𝐑 𝐎 𝐋 𝐎 𝐆 𝐔 𝐄

Hey readers! Just as promised, the Steps into Shadow rewrite is here!

This prologue ended up a lot longer than the original lmao-

Anyways, hope you enjoy reading the revisions!

~~~

   "Alright...here it is."

   A human and steve stood below a cliff, just outside of an oak forest. Within the shadows was a building, a temple by the look of it. The white material of its walls and pillars was shrouded, unable to be seen from a distance.

   The human glanced to his left. His companion shuddered, eyes trained on the temple ahead of them.

   "It's been so long since I've seen this place..." he murmured, fingers lightly tugging the ends of his jacket sleeves. "So long since..."

   The human raised an eyebrow. "Since...what?"

   The red steve shook his head. "It doesn't matter." He stated, letting go of his jacket. "It was all in the past, anyways. It can't hurt us now."

   The human took a moment to peer at his new friend. The steve lightly shifted on his feet, returning to gazing at the temple. His lips almost parted, but then pressed shut.

   He's hiding something, the human noted. Must be important to him if he keeps it a secret.

   "So," he murmured instead, shifting his attention to the temple, then back to his friend, "how do we get in, Colle?"

   The steve turned his head to the left. "There's levers to open it. They need to be pulled at the same time for the door to open."

   "Let's go do it, then."

Colle shrugged and led the way into the shadows of the cliff. His companion followed, eyes wide and flickering over every little detail of the area. All the weathered grooves and cuts in the quartz material painted a vivid picture of this strange temple in his mind, especially now that he was closer to it. He opened and closed his mouth repeatedly, words failing to leave them.

   "Here's the first lever." Murmured the collector, who stopped in front of one of the pillars. "The other should be on the other side."

The human nodded and hurried off to the other side of the temple. He ran a hand over his pillar, the engraved lines dusty from years of stillness. He frowned, brushed the dust off his fingertips, and scanned the area for his lever.

The human's eyes soon landed on the device. It was built into the temple wall, and looked just as dusty as the pillar it was hidden behind.

"Found it!" He called to the collector. "Ready when you are!"

   The human could barely make out Colle's form through the shadows and distance, but still saw him wrap a hand around his lever.

   "Go ahead and pull it!" The steve shouted back. The chrring of the lever being yanked down filled the air seconds after. 

   The human quickly mimicked his friend. As soon as his was down, the stone beneath him began to shake. His arms flailed out before him as he almost fell forwards. On the unsteady ground, he scurried over to Colle again.

   The collector's eyes were trained on the wall ahead. The source of the shaking ground came from it, the quartz wall lowering itself downwards. Dust flew out and towards the pair, making the human cough as some got in his mouth.

When the wall had disappeared, a concealed room appeared behind it.

   The human sucked in a sharp breath. "Whoa..."