Chapter Five

Geralt couldn't believe what he had just heard. How could Kallis be involved with this witch's curse? Kallis, the man who had taken in Geralt, a complete stranger, and saved his life. How could Kallis, the dedicated healer, bring such devastation down on another being?

"You must be mistaken. That can't be true."

"How long have you known him?"

Geralt's silence only confessed his lack of familiarity with the man. He admittedly had only known Kallis for a few days.

Validated, the witch continued. "I have known him for centuries."

"Centuries? How is that possible? He barely looks older than forty."

"Looks can be deceiving. You of all people should know that."

"Alright, fine. So he's older than he looks. That doesn't prove anything."

"He brought this fate down upon me. He cursed me for standing against him. For standing against the atrocities he committed."

Geralt couldn't make sense of what she was saying, it was at such odds with what he knew of the man. "Atrocities? He's a healer. He's worked his whole life to save people. For crying out loud, he's still studying now!"

"Then you've seen what he studies. The papers?"

"Yeah, I've seen the books and the illustrations. He must have brought quite the library from the city."

"Those drawings are not from a textbook, witcher. They are his notes. Compiled from countless experiments performed on innocent victims."

Geralt broke eye contact, lowering his eyes to think things through. To think back on what exactly he had seen in Kallis' home.

The witch continued, pressing her advantage. "He thinks he is doing the world a favor. He wants to cure diseases, afflictions, plagues. Anything from aching joints to Catriona."

Geralt's eyes shot back to the witch at that word. At the memory it had provoked.

"And he will do whatever it takes to find the cures. No matter the cost in lives or suffering."

Geralt's confidence in Kallis was beginning to dissolve. Everything the witch said seemed to make sense. And it would certainly explain why such a devout healer would position himself so far from civilization. But there was still one piece of the puzzle that didn't fit. And Geralt wanted to see what the witch thought about it. "Why would he save me, then? I was nearly dead when he found me. Why restore me back to health?"

"You're here, aren't you? And were you any lesser of a man, I would be dead. You would have finished the fight he started long ago."

"But Kallis didn't send me here to kill you."

"Did he not? Who told you the stories that led you here? Who told you the lies that had you believe I held your friend captive? He manipulated you as he did with so many others."

The realization punched Geralt in the gut. He didn't know what to think anymore. There was still so much he didn't understand. So many unanswered questions. He would just have to start with one. "Who are you?"

"My name is Aela. And before this form took me, I was an elf. An elven mage to be exact."

An elf! The curse must have stripped her of her powers indeed because elves were some of the most powerful practitioners of magic. But then how had Kallis beaten her?

"What is your quarrel with Kallis? Why were you cursed?"

"It is a long story."

"Try me."