xix. much needed change.

UNITED IN BLOOD
CHAPTER NINETEEN  !

   A RUSH OF SADNESS passed through Danielle Linden as she stood in front of the long mirror that sat in the corner of the room

A RUSH OF SADNESS passed through Danielle Linden as she stood in front of the long mirror that sat in the corner of the room. Clothed only in her polkadot underwear and a plain, black bra, the brunette intently stared at the deep scar that ran across her lower abdomen as a dull ache flared deep down. Her left hand rose up from by her side and began to lightly trail over the raised flesh. Thought it was a sign she was still alive, that she was able to breathe in the fresh morning air and feel the heat of the summer sun upon her shoulders, all of the good things that came with being alive, Danielle couldn't brush off away the ache that raged a war in her chest every time she laid eyes upon the scar.

Only a few months had passed since that day in Seattle. Their final day. They had desperately patched themselves up with whatever they could. She could remember how happy both Dina and Ellie were to see that Jesse and Tommy were still alive and kicking.

Dina had stayed behind in the theatre to watch over the two men, both of whom weren't able to be jostled around very much and therefore had to remain resting inside the building and out of sight. Though Ellie and Danielle were incredibly injured, they had no other choice but to go out and search.

Danielle hadn't been sure that Jesse or Tommy would have survived the trip back. Though she had tried her best to patch them up, with such little supplies and no antibiotics to stave off infection, she had been certain that the two men would have passed away. However, with the grace of whichever entity that chose to look down upon them, both men survived throughout the whole ordeal.

In some act of foolish bravery, Danielle had refused to tell anyone about the knife wound on her abdomen. She had been losing blood fast as they left the theatre but what could they have done? Most of their supplies had been used to treat Jesse and Tommy and the rest for Dina. She felt stupid...she knew she should have told someone but she hadn't wanted to be a burden on them.

The Linden girl could still remember how she stumbled out of the theatre, hands secretly clutching at her lower stomach so as to not alert Ellie to how injured she really was. Fingers were stained crimson with her own blood and her head was quickly becoming incredibly light.

They had a plan. Return to the Serevena Base that hopefully still had all of that gas stocked up and find a vehicle that could get them back to Jackson. They had all been far too injured to walk back. It had taken them all over a month to get to Seattle when they were healthy and not profusely bleeding from their war wounds which meant it would have taken them twice as long attempting to return.

After retrieving the gas and lugging them back to the theatre, they had then went on a search for a working vehicle. Nearly every car was either completely destroyed beyond repair or didn't have enough room for them all. Finally, after what had seemed like a lifetime spent searching, they had come across a former WLF vehicle.