4

There was a squeaking noise when everyone walked into the house. Their wet shoes rubbed up agasint the wood. Tess took out some keys to unlock a door.

Prim walked behind Ellie. She had on a fresh pair of
Clothes on now. Her noise was still a bit busted up for the fall.

"Give us a minute, all right"? the woman spoke, closing the door behind her.

"What the fuck"! Ellie sighed. "How many times are we going to get locked in a room", she muttered.

Ellie messed around in a box of trinkets. She sat her backpack on the floor and then grabbed an old book off the desk. Meanwhile Prim was peeking out the window.

The building they were in was about three levels up. If she was swift enough she could use the rusted pipe on the side of her as a rope to leap off of.

Pivoting away she moved around to where Ellie was. Ellie was caught off guard when Prim grabbed her arm. She started tugging her toward the window

"we moeten gaan", is what she responded with to Ellies struggle.

Ellie didn't respond back. Mostly because she didn't understand anything that was said.

She tried to pull her arm out of Prims grip but it was much harder than she thought it would be. Noticing her distress Prim let her go.

She went over to the window and lifted it up. As she did she realized that Ellie was not moving.

Wiping her head she saw that Ellie was just standing there. The girl still made no effort to move.

Prim did not understand. Couldn't she see that they were being utilized for another's gain? People in the new world were different.

It didn't matter how innocent or pure-hearted you were. If you were useful to them they'd keep you around.

If you weren't well then you would probably find yourself with a bullet in your head. It was every man and woman for themself.

"Have you ever been beyond the wall", Ellie questioned although she already knew the answer. Prim did not move nor say anything.

"You know I've been raised in a military school for my whole life. I learned what they wanted me to learn, I did what they wanted me to do. I had to follow wo may rules. I was nothing, just another solider they can train". Ellie looked down at the floor.

This was the first time she was expressing herself to someone since the incident.

"I want to live life for myself, don't you"? Looking back up at Prim there was a smile on her.

Prim's mouth went agape. The door opened before she had a chance to say something.

Ellie quickly opened the book. Prim just stood there for a moment. Ellie's words floated through her mind.

Joel tossed his bag on the floor. He flopped down onto the couch. Already knowing this trip would take a lot of stamina he decided to get some rest before they left.

"So who's Bill and Frank," Ellie asked. Joel looked at her in a bit of shock. "The radios a smuggling code, right? 60's means they don't have anything new, 70s they got new stuff".

Joel got up off the couch and snatched the book from Ellie. "What's 80s"? He threw the book onto the desk. Ellie put her arms in the air defensively.

Prim laid against the ottoman. Joel plopped back onto the couch.

"What are you doing?".

"Killin time".

"Well, what are we supposed to do"?

"I'm sure you'll figure it out".

Ellie let out a defeated sigh. She grabbed the book off the table. Fun forms of passing time were scarce.

"Your watch is broken", she proclaimed as she made her way toward the widow. The sound of yelling could be heard from outside so she closed it.

The two girls were silent for a long time. Joel's snoring was the only sound in the room. Prim closed her eyes. She pressed play on her cassette.

The soft melody she was used to was no longer present. Instead a static gravelly sound filled her ears.