09. thunder

✦✧✦

✦✧✦

A voice loudly called out across the pool for the booming music to be turned down as the militants emerged in a group headed by two familiar figures. Almost all of them were carrying weapons of some sort.

The militant leader led the way, his broad shoulders tense under the gaze of the party goers. Two men followed directly behind him, ahead of the other militants, one being the man in all black Kazumi had spied on and the other being an almost snake like man who sported thick black tattoos all over his body.

Watching them make their way around the pool Kazumi felt a shiver down her spine at the predatory way the man in black dragged his eyes over the assembled crowd.

Noticing the others confused faces Kuina began to fill in the blanks, explaining the rising tensions between the militants led by Aguni (finally putting a name to a face for Kazumi) and Hatter and his following.

"Aguni tested me during the games, I think they want me to join the militants." Kazumi interjected once Kuina's explanation had finished.

Arisu nodded, deep in thought at the recent influxes in information. "I think Ann was trying to test me as well."

"Ann?"

Kazumi didn't receive an answer as the militants made their way up to assembled group.

Addressing Arisu, Aguni spoke first. "What happened to your pal." If she had to guess Kazumi would assume he was referring to the man she had seen Arisu with at the tag game.

After a tense silence he continued, "I see. He died. What a shame. So only the small fish survived."

Looking back and forth between the two, Kuina finally voiced the question that probably sat behind the onlookers lips, "Do you two know each other?"

Neglecting to answer he instead turned his eyes to Usagi, who was closest to him, sitting just ahead of Kazumi. "You," he spoke, motioning to the man in black behind him "bring that woman over."

With no hesitation he moved forward, reaching to grab Usagi's wrist. Arisu angrily jumped to her defense, standing to put himself between the two, "Hey!"

"Stop. Don't get yourself involved." Kuina put a hand out to stop him, not in a particularly effective manner. Kazumi stood as well although she was far less agitated in her reaction, instead watching the situation carefully.

The man in black didn't appear intimidated by Arisu's display, mockingly speaking to Usagi, "Our boss says he wants to have a taste of you," before once again attempting to pull her up by the wrist, swiftly stopped once again by the other man. "What should we do about this kid?"

"Break his legs so he'll die in the next game." Aguni coldly responded, face impassive.

The other man seemed horrifyingly on board with this plan, eagerly calling to a few members of the sadistic troupe, "You guys! Bring the woman to him," Grabbing Arisu he sneered "You come with me."