Chapter 5

The ride wasn't as pleasant as I expected. Marcus's motorcycle was made for speed and shot down highways and roads. People watched in surprised as two teenagers rocketed past them down their quiet streets. Once, a police officer came to pull us over, but he soon backed away once he saw the Order's crest.

I clung on for dear life as I barely had half the seat. It was a very different trip to the one with the older Arknight. However, I could feel Marcus' muscles straining to keep me close. Marcus was an expert driver and must have already passed some test. I started feeling jealous, as I wouldn't be able to drive for another two years. He weaved in and out of traffic like a fish down a stream. Some cars even moved out of the way as soon as they saw the number plate. It meant we went even faster, heading towards the inner city. I could see the tower blocks of homes and the peaks of elegant business buildings. It was hard to focus on anything. We were moving so fast it was a blur, so I kept my eyes down and thought about what was happening.

I didn't know what I was going to do. Being brought in front of the Council will either be a great honour or the end of me. They had the power to throw me behind bars for the rest of my life. And how I was going to explain this all to my parents if I ever got home? However, thinking of my parents at our little Wingsworth home made me feel even more sick than the speed.

Marcus said nothing for most of the journey. I wasn't sure if I was meant to talk to him. He had seemed friendly at the Halo, but his unblinking concentration put me off from asking questions. When we reach Londinium's inner city, he revved the engine again and skidded around corners and darting down minor roads that most cars wouldn't fit in. I had no idea what he was doing until we came onto the main junction. Right in front of us was the Thames, a mighty river supporting a fleet of boats. Marcus headed towards a nearby bridge. As we travelled over it, he pointed to our left side. "The Colossi," he roared over the low moan of the motorcycle engine. The Colossi stood out among the modern developed building. A vast temple featuring a magnificent dome with layers of stone walls built to support it. Four grand pillars guarded it, each with a magnificent angel on top. At the peak of the dome a shaft of light beamed up into the sky before dispersing and heading back to the ground in a dome. The Colossi was the heart of the city and was lit by a hundred spotlights, standing out like the sun in the evening darkness. I had only been to it once, but I remember every inch. The sight took my breath away more than the ride.

Soon it was eclipsed by the buildings that flanked the river, and we headed deeper into the city. I noticed the buildings were changing. They were thinning out as we went. Then I saw why. As we turned left, a gap between two buildings opened up to reveal the Mantle. The Mantle was technically its own borough as it was so large. But, maps never showed any detail and I could understand why when we approached the concrete barriers and twelve foot high steel walls. The only thing you could see beyond the walls was an air control tower poking up into the sky. The Order's Air Force was mainly based in Yrok but it made sense to have some planes here.

Marcus turned left down a road and I saw a gate with a barrier and guard post. We approached it and Marcus slowed down the motorcycle. The guard got to his feet to inspect us. I could see a large dog waiting by his feet, its sharp eyes looked on me. The only thing that took my eyes off the dog was the glint from the guards gun swinging from his side. I cringed. Was everyone going to be carrying a gun around here? Marcus brought out an ID and handed it to the guard. She examined it and then eyed me. "No civilians on site," she said, her words etched like she had said them a thousand times before.