4

Carrying his sledgehammer around was a nuisance, but he had no choice. Through bushes, thorns and sharp sticks, the minotaur followed Alan's scent. Sometimes he'd really need to ponder and guess where the man had gone, other times the trail was obvious.

After hours of walking, the heat and humidity were taking its toll on the minotaur. Last night was cold, today was quite brutal. The weather was weird in these woods. Before he was in the middle of autumn, now in these enchanted woods it seemed summer had taken over. Birds fluttered above and tiny insects scurried beneath the beasts' hoofed feet.

A small river with a fall crossed his path. Before continuing onward, he dunked his head under the raging fall and took gulps of cold water, feeling the liquid flow down his chin and onto his enormous chest. The minotaur's brown fur was now speckled in liquid and his horns dripped with cool water. His brain felt refreshed after this simple action. He had someone to find. Darak couldn't sit and enjoy the water or the trees. Someone needed help. Someone who might already be dead.

A clearing appeared after he hurried out of the forest. He gazed upon a small town full of wooden homes and people mulling about. All doing different jobs, speaking, and chuckling. Darak was hidden behind not only shadow from trees, but he was also on top of a hill. Looking down at all this action. There was a horse-drawn carriage, bakers, steelworkers, peasants. All walking about and enjoying the day. Away from the evils of whatever the forest was called. He took a moment to just watch the citizens of Germany go about their day. He heard some speaking in English dialect, which meant he could go down and interact. Or die trying. His stomach rumbled.

***

The monster walked into the nearest tavern once making his way down the huge hill. Every single patron stopped speaking. All wide eyed, gazing upon the brown, furry beast in their presence.

A roaring fireplace sat in one corner of the pub.

Darak waved politely to the terrified people of all ages. All are crowded in this extensive building. He put his hammer down in the corner, trying to soften his tough exterior.

Darak stood at the bar and rested both hands on the table. No one who was standing at the bar was standing there now.

"Can I get you a drink, sir?" A bartender asked in English, wearing a vest and a button-up shirt cleared his throat. The old man craned his neck to meet the eyes of the beast. Darak had never heard a German accent. He made sure to pay attention extra carefully to the words and dialect.

"Darak would. Also, food please. Thank you." His voice was unmistakable. Deeper than anyone here.

He was given a mug full of cold beer. "Your meal will be out soon sir, anything specific?" Smiled the bartender.

"You choose." Darak sipped his drink.

"Excellent. I promise you'll love it, good sir!" He rushed to the back area of the bar, heart pounding. Afraid that if he messed up this meal, it would be the last thing he ever cooked. Upon a whiff, Darak's belly grumbled deeper than before, smelling the scent of meat and potatoes wafting from the kitchen close by.

A woman with a slightly rounded belly and broad thighs took her seat. She sat to one side of Darak, he cocked his head swiftly with a polite smirk.

She seemed fearless of the non-human beside her. "So, what's your name, handsome?" She smiled as she rubbed the minotaur's arm. Which felt quite nice. The most muscles she'd ever felt in her life.

"Darak. Cannot stay long. Looking for human." He ate his meal as soon as it was brought to him.

The woman frowned a bit. "You mean... you don't want my services, darling?" She flashed a single, beautiful, large breast at the minotaur, who went wide eyed for a moment.

"Darak sorry." He patted her hand briefly while eating a meaty stew with the other. He noticed an old scar on her cheek. Probably some crazed sexual maniac had given it to her.

"Well honey. I'm Matilda. If you change your mind." She stood from her seat with a small smile. The woman wanted to kiss his cheek but decided against it. She couldn't help but stare at the bull. How huge he was, how fluffy. How nice it would be to be held by him.

A thin, older man stormed over to Matilda, he came down from a large wooden staircase where rooms could be bought. He walked up to the bar and gripped Matilda's wrist harshly. Wearing a black coat. His gray hair was thinning, and his eyes were full of darkness. "You need to stop ogling this beast and get to screwing. Is he a paying customer?" He didn't attempt to hide his anger in front of the patrons of The Rat's Nest. He pulled her to a corner roughly and away from the bar.

"No, Mr. Wayne. Well, not yet." She braced herself for a smack across the face. He had hit her many times before. He also had done much worse things.

The minotaur's ear flicked, hearing the shouting going on a few feet from him.

He finished his meal, stood up and glared at the old man speaking rudely to Matilda.

Where they stood, an orange fire blazed behind him. On either side of the man were two leather seats and a large rug. This corner was quite large and away from many of the patrons.

Matilda's body looked tense. Her eyes read sadness and despair as she felt a lump in her throat.

Wayne felt a shadow upon him. Someone large, tall, and bulky. His head tilted as he met the light blue eyes of a brown minotaur. His muscles flexed, his fists balled.

"Can I help you, sir?" He let go of the woman's wrist, she then hurried away in fear.

"You no touch her. Ever again." The angered bull's nostrils flared as he spoke in a brooding tone. With one hand, he gripped the old man's jacket and pulled him from his feet. He lifted him into the air with ease. Like he was a doll meant to be toyed with.

"You're not a man! You're not an animal! What the hell are you?!" He yelled as his legs squirmed. His two pale, boney hands gripped the wrist of the beast.

"You leave." Darak roughly planted Wayne to the ground to his feet. Wayne felt a leg muscle tear right below his knee. He clutched the tendon and whimpered. His voice is no longer full of anger, but full of fright and intense pain. "Alright! Alright! I won't! Just please don't kill me!" He slowly stood and limped out the door.

The tavern erupted in cheers as the patrons ran to the minotaur, hugging him and patting his back.

The bartender smiled. "He's been abusing the workers of this tavern for a month! Thank you! You are truly a heavenly being! Whatever you are!"

Darak was a bit startled, but he certainly didn't mind the attention. "Uh. Okay."

He said as he sat back down at the bar, surrounded by a legion of new fans.   

"Darak looking for a castle." He spoke to the bartender as he was given free food and drink.

"Castle? Where the Count lives? My big fellow, you don't want to go there! Stay with us! I'm sure our women wouldn't mind showing you a good time either." The old man laughed.

"Please. Help Darak find the castle."

"Persistent, huh? Well, I suppose I can. You've already done quite a good thing for us. Just don't get yourself killed."