FOUR ; HAMLET

Matilda never left the house without a rapier at her belt. For her, it was like stepping outside without shoes on when you knew there was rusty nails all over the ground.

So as she, Lockwood, Lucy and George walked through the streets of London and hour later, all four of them sported rapiers at their belts; they were a symbol of respect and dignity. Everyone they passed saw them, and most nodded respectfully - a way of thanking them for their service.

Lockwood had insisted they head to the British Archives straight away to gather information on Annabel Ward and her disappearance all those years ago. Matilda found his sudden change of heart on the case overly suspicious, but she wasn't about to say anything until she had solid evidence of what had convinced him to go along with it.

"We've been looking at it the wrong way around." Lockwood was saying as the four of them stepped onto a sidewalk after crossing the street. "Its not about us helping Annabel. It's about her helping us."

"Really? How?" Matilda said, nodding to a  Rotswell agent walking by. She smiled and nodded back, crossing the street.

"Its all about media exposure." Matilda's brother explained as they kept walking. "Annabel's disappearance was a big story. It's far bigger than us burning a house down." They walked past a tourist stand selling maps and miniature British flags. "If we solve her murder..." Lockwood smiled. "The headlines we'll get we get will cancel out all our bad press overnight."

Lucy looked over at him. "I thought you said no more pet projects?"

"Its not a pet project anymore." Lockwood told her. "Its the main event."

"It won't make us sixty grand." George tried to point out.

Lockwood, however, wasn't having the negativism. "It could make us more." She said. "I mean, think of the millions of old people sat at home, nothing to do but reminisce and read the papers. They love murder mysteries! The bonafide front-page splash. Barnes won't dare move against us."

"Leave me out of the media bit." Lucy said quickly. "I don't like my name in the papers. Had enough of that crap back home."

Lockwood looked over at her and made a face. "You just have to know how to deal with them. Leave all that to me-"

Lucy held a hand out to stop the boy, and they all paused on the sidewalk. "I mean it." Lucy said sternly. "Keep me out of the spotlight." She started moving again, so did the others. "The most important thing is solving the case."

A few more minutes of walking brought Lockwood & Co. to the British Archives.

George spent loads of time there, whether it was for researching a case or just for his own pleasure. Matilda went with him sometimes when she was bored or to get out of helping the other two pack for a case. She was never a very big reader, but she did appreciate the Archive's housage of history.

As they approached the building George went over the rules with Lockwood and Lucy, who had been there with him maybe only once.

"This is where it all happens." George said. "Quietly." He added. "So behave yourselves, okay?" He glanced at Matilda who was a few steps ahead of them, and whispered to the other two. "I once watched Matilda knee a bloke in the balls for sneezing too loudly."