Chapter Fourteen

*1 day before the Luau*

"Hey Pancake." I patted the growing chicken's back with my hand. She looked at me and squawked a few times before continuing to peck at the ground. We only get a few eggs a day but it's enough to make even a small bit more of money. I stretched and decided to go see Emily. "Where are you going?" Nixie asked from her place at the garden.

"I wanted to go hang out with my friends." I said. "Me, Haley, and Emily were gonna have a sleep over."
She thought a moment then got up and dusted her hands on her jeans. "Hey, would you hand this back to Marnie? I borrowed it from her." She reached in her pocket and brought out a small envelope.

"Okay what's this?" I said and immediately tried to open it. Nixie swatted my hand away.

"If you're gonna be nosy then I'll do it myself!" She snapped. I scrunched my nose.
"I was just curious, I didn't know you were sending her the Krabby Patty Secret Formula." I hissed.
Nixie gave me a nervous look before tucking the envelope in my front jean pocket.

"Just... hand it to her and keep it secret." Nixie said. I raised an eyebrow but shrugged and promised I would deliver it safely.

I skipped down the path and to Marnie's ranch to hand the envelope over. I saw the propped door was open already to let cool air in and watched Shane go inside. Right before I stepped up I heard Marnie's voice;

"Hi Shane... you look unusually happy today."

"You're right. I haven't felt this light since I was a kid." Shane responded. I probably shouldn't have done what I did, but I leaned against the wall and listened closely to their private conversation.

"Oh?... Let me guess. Gus had a clearance sale on canned beer?" Marnie said. Although it was a 'joke' her voice was soft and disappointed.

"Good one..." Shane trailed off but responded in a more upbeat voice, "no, actually I've been drinking sparkling water instead of beer... and I feel great!"

I couldn't help but smile to myself at Shane's own accomplishments. I felt proud of my best friend, even though that title hurt myself some and knowing he could possibly like someone else also felt worse.

"You know, I sometimes forget that I actually do have friends, people that really care about me. And it's okay for me to rely on them... it doesn't make me weak." Shane said then I heard footsteps walking into the other room.

"He looks so sharp!" Marnie said to herself happily. I eased a little closer and decided I should probably stop eavesdropping but hearing Shane say, "Hi Jas. I've got something for you." Made me want to listen all the more.

"What is it?" Jas said, her soft voice curious and after some unwrapping noises, she gasped and I heard little jumps of excitement. "Th... these are real bunny-jewel slippers!" She laughed, "b-but these are so expensive! How did you afford them?"

Shane let out a soft chuckle, one I learned to adore, and said, "I've cut back on an expensive habit. I have a lot more spending money now."

I heard Jas kind of sniff as if she was overwhelmed. She seemed like a more emotional kid and I assumed it had to have been a thing with her parents. "Jas..." I heard footsteps and his voice was further away like he moved closer to her, "I'm sorry about what happened before. I said some stuff that really hurt you and I should have never let you  hear that from me. When I said those things... it's not because I wanted to leave or hurt you. It's not your fault."

Jas didn't respond. "I wasn't feeling well because, uh, my head is sick and it makes me feel sad and tired a lot... and..." Shane let out a frustrated sigh, "sorry I barely understand it myself." He seemed to added that last part more to himself. "It's hard for me to explain... but I'll tell you all about it when you want me to, okay? Right now I just need you know that I'm working hard to get better and it's okay if you're scared or mad at me... take as long as you need to feel how you feel..."