30 | Call

Why does it hurt?

Why does it hurt?

Heath asking to pause isn't the end of anything, really. It's merely an inconvenience at the peak stress point in the last few weeks of summer. The whole point of the contract was to keep feelings from happening. There was supposed to be nothing between us but text and signatures. But bit by bit, he crept in. And I let him. I think part of me wanted him to be there.

He called it at the right time. So why does it hurt? 

"Teagan," my mother grabs my attention. 

I lift the phone back to my ear. "Sorry, I was reaching for something. What did you say?"

The library is empty except for me and one other person. Work was supposed to keep my mind busy, not give me more time to stress myself out. I've been trying to get in some extra hours before the wedding, anything to pay Dad back as soon as possible before I have to turn around and ask him for money to cover my rent. Mom is too familiar with my job and my schedule to think she can't call me.

"You left," she nags me about the party again.

"I told you I wasn't feeling well."

"We went to introduce you and you were gone. That was unprofessional and very out of character for you."

"I know, I'm sorry. I wasn't feeling well," I repeat the phrase as if it's a record, spinning around with no end. "Can I call you back? I have to work."

She sighs. "We'll talk more at dinner tomorrow."

"Okay." I end the call and set my phone on the desk with a groan.

Sunday dinner is going to be a shit show. I don't have the strength to argue or to tell them the truth about why I left the party. For a week, they've been on me about it, calling me back and forth as if they don't work in the same office and live in the same house. Rowan hasn't spoken to me. Levi is out of state for a game. I'm an easy target and all I want is to have an excuse to disappear. 

"Hey, Teagan," a voice grabs my attention. 

I turn, finding the familiar broad shoulders and puppy dog eyes. "Lenny?" I look side to side, trying to find the distortion in the universe that placed him in front of me. "What are you doing here?"

He stares down at the desk beside us. "Um . . ." He shifts his weight, tucking his hands into his pockets before finally looking up. "I owe you an apology."

Now, I'm certain there's a glitch in the matrix. That, or the timeline got twisted up with no logical explanation like a Marvel movie. "What?"

"I shouldn't have said those things or called you names," he says. "You're a good person, and you have the right to live your life the way you want. It's not my place to judge you."

That's it. The world is ending. "Uh . . . I'm sorry, I'm confused. Do you no longer think I'm a slut, or are you no longer judging me for being a slut?"