iii. loss is the worst type of pain.

THE COLD, CHILLY AIR hit Eden's face, awaking her from her accidental sleep, it was evening and Leon had gone out to play outside of their room, in the hallway.

It was safe, they had cleared it more than once.
She groaned, having a headache. She rubbed her head, massaging her forehead.

Eden reached for her bag pack, grabbing the bottle of water, she quickly drank it.

"Leon?" She called out for her brother. "Leon?.." she repeated the young boys name, "Leon! This isn't funny."
"C'mon shit-bird.. I'll give you some of that jerky you like!" She continued to call out for her brother.

"Eden.." a soft voice groaned. "Leon!" She ran to the voice, trying to figure out what's happening.
She could hear running across the hall. "Fuck." She soon realised there were infected in the building.

By the running of them, she could tell there was only one or two. She whistled, catching the attention of the infected. They screamed as they ran to her,

Her ears rang as the bullets went though the bodies, Now even more life-less than before.
"Leon?" She Called once again, she heard a light cough coming from behind her,
"Leon.." She spoke, Silence overtook the hallway,

Seeing her brother on the floor. "No,No,No,No." she repeatedly said, her eyes watering, "I'm sorry." He held his stomach,
"Show me," She bit her lip, To stop her from weeping, Leon soon lifted his Navy blue shirt to reveal a Small Runner bite.

She covered her mouth, sobbing, "Not you, not you Leon." Eden placed him on her lap, She sat on the floor, her body leaning on the wall, Leon laid on her legs.

"Eden, it hurts." He began to cry, " i don't wanna die." Leon stuttered. "I know, i know baby." She clung onto her only family.
"I've got you." She hid her cries in his clothes shoulder, sniffing and snuffling.

"I didn't.. i didn't see them." He shakily spoke, using his limited words to Explain to her.

"It's ok, No one's gonna hurt you now." She held his cheek, rubbing her thumb across his face as a tear fell onto her hand.

"Leon?.." Eden Sniffed, Waiting for a response she was never given. "No! No! Not you." She couldn't control her sobs, she clung onto her little brothers life-less body, "Please, speak!" She begged and begged for him to ask something stupid, Make a cheesy joke, Talk about how exciting his Ninja figure is, Complain about how annoying she is. But nothing came out of his mouth, A few shaky breaths could be heard.

She knew what she had to do, but she couldn't bring herself to do it.

It wasn't long until the young boy turned into a monster like the ones that killed him.
Eden shuffled from her seat, staring at his body.

She grasped her knife that was tucked into her jeans. She took a few breaths, preparing her for even more heartbreak.

Her sobs could only be heard as the sharp knife went through his skull.

"I'm sorry." Was the words she managed to say while sobbing uncontrollably.

Eden threw the knife across the hallway, still in her sight. She slid down the wall, her hands clinging to her face.

Loss is the worst type of pain.

___