Chapter 12

Avery POV - two weeks later

I peek around the corner and see Alex, Serv, my parents, and Ashley sitting at the table.

"Do you think she can do this?" Alex asks.

"Honestly? I don't know. She's going to have to detail the event and she can't even do that with just me. She shuts down. She's going to be put under stress by his lawyers."

I watch my mom as she looks up, "I don't want her to do this. She's sensitive."

"Mom, it's okay. She's strong. We just need a plan. If she doesn't testify, he isn't going to pay for what he did to her."

I turn and sigh.

'I don't want them to worry.'

I make my way to the front door and quickly slip out.

There's a park close to my sisters and I head that direction.

I see a bench and sit while watching some kids play.

I wish I could tell them what happened with detail, but I just can't. It hurts too much and I feel so much shame.

I'm not sure how much time has passed, but I feel someone sit next to me and glance next to me to see Serv.

"H-how'd yuh-you f-find muh-me?" I ask.

"Your sister and you are so alike. She likes to walk down to this park when she needs a break."

I stare at him and nod.

"Oh."

He bobs his head, "What's going on in that head of yours?"

I look down and sigh, "J-just duh-on't w-want to dis-disappoint th-them."

He puts his arm around me, "You're not disappointing them, Avery. They're worried, they want to kill Rory. To be honest, I do too."

I bob my head, "Y-you wuh-want t-to k-kill h-him t-too?"

He looks at me seriously, "Avery, 100%. I love you. You're my little sister too. I hate that this and the accident happened to you."

I sniffle, "M-me t-too."

I continue, "J-just h-hard t-to th-think a-about."

"I can understand that, but if you can't say it to Ashley or Alex, then you're not going to be able to do it in front of a judge and jury." He says.

I bob my head, "I-I kn-know."

"You'll try?" He asks.

I stare at him, "Y-yeah. I-I'll t-try."

I take a deep breath, "I-I'm suh-sorry I-I wuh-was a-an ass-h-hole to yuh-you."

He softens, "It's okay. I never took it too personally. You love your sister and you were scared."

I bob my head, "D-didn't wuh-want t-to sh-share."

He smiles, "I know."

He hugs me, "Ready to go back home?"

I nod and stand up, feeling pain go through my leg.

"Here, piggyback ride."

He pulls me up, "Th-thanks."

We walk back and get to the front door that gets opened.

"Aves! God, I was worried when we couldn't find you."

I look down, "S-sorry. J-just n-needed a-air."

She sighs, "Don't leave again without telling someone. It scared me."