Heartbreak

No one's POV

 Enid and Wednesday's parents both arrived at noon exactly. Enid and Wednesday had spent the rest of their time without their parents together: they had gotten lunch together in some pizza shop in Jericho, gotten fudge, strolled the streets together and talked (mostly Enid) and went back up to the school... then they'd slept together, the entire night, Enid calling Wednesday beautiful and Wednesday, for the first time, telling Enid she was as well. They'd slept very late, until about nine, gone to Weathervane together, and spent the morning with their friends-Yoko, Divina, Kent, Xavier, and Eugene-playing board and card games, sitting with bags of snacks on Nevermore's lawn and laughing together. 

 Both sets of parents strolled into the lunch room, Wednesday's parents straight over to their daughter where she sat with the rest of the friend group with the exception of Ajax because Enid was still mad at him. "Hello, my little storm cloud," said Gomez, hugging her. "I hope you've been on more murder cases?" "Not quite yet, but I have gone grave-digging several times at one to four in the morning," Wednesday answered calmly, and Morticia smiled. "That's our scorpion, good job, dear. Anything else?" Wednesday and Enid exchanged a look and Wednesday said, "this is my... girlfriend, Enid. You remember her?" 

 Gomez and Morticia also exchanged a look, but it was happy smiles. Both hugged Enid like she were their daughter as well. "We are so happy for you both," Morticia said. "And congratulations to Enid for surviving more than twenty-four hours wearing something pink in the same room as Wednesday," Gomez added, smiling. "Oh, yes, that was the hardest part," said Enid cheerfully, intertwining her fingers with Wednesday's and giving her goth girlfriend a smile. Wednesday returned this, just barely, and Gomez and Morticia smiled at each other again. "I'm sorry, I should go meet my parents," said Enid apologetically. She took her hand and wrapped her arm around Wednesday, hugging her quickly, said, "see you later," and then got up and bounced away, trying her hardest to remain happy as her parents came to meet her. 

 "I see you have a girlfriend," said Enid's mother coldly. "Yes, her name is Wednesday and I love her," Enid said defiantly. "Is she a wolf?" her mother asked, eyes flashing dangerously. Enid bowed her head, scared to meet her mother's eyes. "Noooo," said Enid subtly. "You mate a wolf or Ajax, understand me?" her mother snarled, grabbing her shoulders and shaking her. Ajax slunk over almost immediately. "Enid, do you need something from me?" Enid's mother spoke before Enid could. "Yes, Enid would like to get back together." 

 "No, I-" Enid cried, but her mother interrupted again. "Break up with your girlfriend and date Ajax at once, Enid, or I shall know and come to kill you myself," her mother spat in her face. Enid couldn't think. She couldn't die... but WEDNESDAY WAS HER LOVE FOREVER!

 "Well, we'll be going now, Lurch has cooked us our own feast before we knew there would be one here," said Gomez. Wednesday nodded. "Call us on the crystal ball if you need anything, darling. "See you." They swept grandly in their black out of the hall, and Wednesday turned to Enid and saw something that made her heart stop. Literally stop. Enid and Ajax were kissing. Not he kissing her against her will. She was kissing him back. Her mother was watching approvingly. Wednesday's had not seen. Enid and Ajax were kissing. 

 Wednesday immediately fled. She did not care about food or her friends or anything else. She gave them one glance; sympathy was on their faces as they saw the tears welling in her eyes, saw what Enid had done. "Wednesday, I'll talk to her," Yoko promised as Wednesday ran. She ran all the way back to the dorm where Thing was, the tears falling fast down her cheeks. She immediately began packing everything-her typewriter, her clothes and books and blankets. Thing tapped questions on a mattress. She ran to the bed he was on... Wednesday's bed. She fell to her knees beside it, sobbed into the sheets. Thing immediately scurried over and cupped Wednesday's face with his hand. He gently wiped the tears from her eyes with his thumb.