Chapter 17: Corporate Tax Cuts and Dreams

After the afternoon session ends, as is usual at the HSNCT, girls get a lot of attention. Especially from players coming from schools whose players only seemed to have quiz bowl tournaments to meet girls. Like DCC and Cistercian.

I really don't want to have dinner with someone against whom I played on the debate floor; while this ultimately led to DCC being allied with us for practicing, this is easily the most bizarre memory I had from quiz bowl, Sadie reflects, while a Cistercian player he recognizes from having played at Tal Atkins against asks something of her.

"For the first time this year could I hope to spend more time with you than just a game at a time" Stan tells her.

"We might have met each other without knowing who we are, but I didn't introduce myself. I'm Sadie"

"I'm Stan"

"I get most quiz bowl tournaments are one-day and, most of the time, you can only collect contact information without being able to do much of anything with people from outside your school"

Cistercian, from the looks of it, is the same kind of deal as DCC, except they don't play debate. An all-boys religious school, Sadie muses while her green and purple outfit makes her stand out to his eyes.

"What would you like to do with me then?" Sadie asks, while Stan is a little confused.

"Go out for dinner, I'm hungry"

----------------------------

Meanwhile, at home, Chantal and Joe are at the municipal library, trying to collect evidence for their respective events at NSDA Nationals. Joe even attempts to write some semblance of opening statement based on what they both collect during the day. Once the library closes, they collect their belongings and meet just outside of it. They are relieved by not having to keep quiet as they did in the reading room.

"My partner is away at the HSNCT tonight and tomorrow as well, and she'll be back in town only on Monday morning. I know the HSNCT means a lot to her, but..." Joe starts talking.

"As I told Sadie, what you, or Rebecca, or Daisy are doing, or Gaston even, I'd be struggling with what makes debate different from extemp. However, I made you go to the library today with me, and even last night, because the evidence you need will also constitute additional files for me" Chantal then tells Joe.

The PF topic for Nationals being Resolved: On balance, corporate tax cuts have created more benefits than harms.

"Just this once, please do as if you drew corporate tax cuts for an extemp topic, and we will spend three minutes afterwards to question each other" Joe suggests to Chantal.

"I am just a dumb international extemper"

"You can't be dumb and also be a state champion in IX!" Joe comments on how dumb Chantal could be.

"What do you mean?"

"To succeed in extemp you must be able to do your research, and make sure the resulting speech flows coherently"

"I know!"

"The difference between you and other extempers is the substance of the content. Using and understanding it well in extemp is what makes me feel like you're a smart girl"

"All right, you win. But keep in mind that our opponents also have their own finals to deal with, as well as AP tests. Here we go..." Chantal then begins her 7-minute speech.

Chantal then delivers a more nuanced speech on the impacts of corporate tax cuts than Joe would usually expect out of an opening statement in a debate round on the topic. Which, in turn, confuses Joe because he has no clue as to what position to take, going into the practice crossfire. She makes me feel like I am listening to the aff and neg constructives rolled into one 7-minute speech, Joe muses while another resident of the town wonders why two teenagers are even discussing corporate tax cuts in the first place.