panic setting in.

CAELESTIS: CHAPTER FIFTEEN.
"PANIC SETTING IN"
────*:・゚*:・゚*:───

IRENE CAUGHT A GLIMPSE of crimson red blood (which usually doesn't affect her) splattered across her legs as soon as she sat on the loo, and she soon began to cry

She's reminded of memories she doesn't want resurfacing, and it makes her face crumple into a sorrowful frown. Then, very quickly after noticing her period, her face is covered in ugly, wet tears. It's splashed across her inner thighs, in a red, stomach-churning mess, almost as if—

Her eyes screw shut and she scrubs her face until her skin feels raw.

Then, she scurries herself out the stall door to the sink, where she wipes her thighs with a wet paper towel, tears falling down her face in a steady stream. It doesn't usually startle her like this. She's usually calm and collected even when things like this happen. Blood has never been an issue for Irene, and she's struggling to figure out why she's so unsettled. She supposes the stress of everything has been a little much lately. School, this weird relationship she has with Regulus Black, and let's not forget the pureblood ball just around the corner, looming over Irene's head. She's been dreading it.

***

It's third period when Remus notices how skittish Irene is— based on the way her leg bounces, or she flinches when Remus taps her shoulder to get her attention. She's never usually so on edge, actually, she's never on edge. Always calm and ready for absolutely anything, but not today. Today, she's glancing around the room, with fast, wary eyes, and tapping her fingernail on the school desk, spinning a strand of hair around her fingers.

"Fine," she had said unconvincingly when Remus had asked her if she was okay— she was quiet and incredibly meek, unlike herself.

Remus frowned at her when she stepped away from his hand after he had reached out for her, "No. You're not. What is it?"

She sighs, slowly and uncomfortably, "I got... my period this morning, unexpectedly, it... freaked me out a bit— the blood, I mean." Remus looks at her with newfound realisation and his brows furrow in recognition. "Don't look at me like that, Moony. I'm not gonna have a panic attack or anything. I'm just a bit... shaken, you know?"

Remus hums, before nodding and whispering, "So you don't want me to touch you?"

Irene nods, slight and short, before Remus smiles, "I'll let the others know you're feeling under the weather. I promise not to tell them why." He points his fist in her direction, his pinky pointed at her, like a small gift. She slowly wraps her own pinky around his, allowing herself to believe in his promise, then he nods, suppressing a hug, because he knows she won't like it, before he turns and makes a beeline across the classroom to the rest of his band of fools.