Chapter 2

Twenty years ago, the flames of war descended upon Nephilim, painting the sky with screams and the earth with blood. In the chaos of bodies clashing, magic flashing and the scream of metal against metal, Kiel had stumbled through the battleground, occasionally freezing an enemy who charged at him or dodging the firing of an arrow.

He heard the enraged shout of his friend and Second Shade Annabella, and witnessed the unfurling of seemingly endless petals of ice which spread outwards, piercing into the bodies of at least ten Flame Servants. The ground suddenly shook, and Annabella swayed slightly, her eyes momentarily meeting Kiel's. The building beside them fell with a roar and a crumble, chunks of rubble rendering everything black.

When Kiel awoke in the medical bay, everything was over. Both sides had sustained great losses, with Nephilim losing four Shades, but not without taking out the most powerful three Shades from Malikayn.

According to an agreement from eons past, only the two Scout Shades from either side can possess clothing that resisted the opposing element. That was why they served as envoys almost every time, to prevent unfortunate incidents. Kiel still remembered presenting Eldur with the peace treaty two weeks after the battle, the Lord simply waving him away after signing it, looking rather worse for wear.

Both Escarcha and Kiel knew that peace would not last long, but there was next to nothing they could do about it. For a long time afterwards, Kiel could still hear his deceased companions call his name, or see their fleeting figures in mirrors and hallways. Sometimes he would turn to say something, only to be stunned by the empty space beside him.

———————

Kiel nodded to the patrol that saluted as it passed, watching the barrier that required twenty Servants to maintain constantly in shifts lower briefly for him. Bereft of his robe, Kiel touched his right sleeve where the scroll resided, took a deep breath, and stepped to the edge of the floating island.

Looking ahead to the distant Malikayn, Kiel held his hand out. The tips of his fingers glowed blue, frost bursting out of the edge of Nephilim, spreading rapidly outwards in a glorious arc of an ice bridge. It didn't have any banisters or fine-tuning, icicles hanging off it abundantly, but still the light struck the clear ice, making it sparkle and glow with all the colours of the rainbow. It was breathtaking, but Kiel had long since been desensitised.

He was a little short of breath from exertion, but not daring to dally, crossed the bridge deftly and set foot on Malikayn, which radiated heat bothering on scorching, much like Nephilim's perpetual biting chill. Kiel stood staring up at the island's latest addition- an impervious iron wall at least a hundred feet high, the ominous black surface a rousing a sense of foreboding.

A large chunk of ice formed above Kiel's hand, and he directed it straight into the gargantuan door. Shattering upon impact, he stepped back as the door swung open soundlessly, releasing a cloud of acrid smoke into Kiel's face.

Unlike Nephilim, Malikayn was a hive of activity, Servants smithing weapons, doing intensive exercises and running about performing various tasks. Not just a few turned to stare at Kiel, though they quickly returned to their work.

Two guards approached Kiel from either side, and to his surprise, both were clearly new Servants.

"Shade Kiel," the male said respectfully, we'll take you to our Lord."

Kiel nodded, the guards ushering him at a rapid pace to the main palace as murmurs drifted to their ears.

A Frost One...at this time...

Shade Kiel...wonder what he's here for...

I can feel the winds changing...

Maybe he's here to surrender!