Chapter Eleven

The crew in the cargo hold noticed the steamed-up car and now knew where Maddie and Adrien were hiding. One of them opened the door but the two were already gone. Above deck, Maddie and Adrien ran out onto the deck, laughing at the fact that they had managed to escape again. When they had calmed down, Maddie told Adrien that, when the ship docked, she was getting off with him. Adrien told her that it was crazy which Maddie knew but she wanted to do it.

Escape the Upper Class and be with Adrien for the rest of her days. They then shared a kiss while Madrigal and the two men in the Crowsnest watched. Madrigal smiled at the scene and turned away to give them a bit of privacy. The two up in the Crowsnest just watched a bit longer. One of them commented that the couple was a bit warmer than they were. The other told him that, if that's what it took to keep warm, he'd rather not do it with his friend.

They just laughed before looking back out to sea. That's when they suddenly saw the silhouette of a giant iceberg. Realising that they might've messed up, they rang the bell before calling to the deck. Madrigal heard the bell and looked back out to sea. An officer walked up to the phone and answered to hear the desperate cries of the men in the Crowsnest. Then came the few words that would seal the Titanic's fate:

"Iceberg! Right ahead!"

The officer went to tell Madrigal the news but he had already seen it. He ran over, barking orders to hard to starboard. He pushed past the officer who went to tell him the situation and ordered the people all the way below deck to make an immediate stop. The people below got the message and ordered the men to go full astern. The helm was turned hard over as everyone below deck rushed to stop the ship from going any faster.

The men in the boiler room got a flashing light, signaling to close all the boilers. In the engine room, they did everything to stop the propellers from making the ship go any faster. The engines came to a halt but they had one thing left to do. They were ordered to reverse the engine to ensure that the ship either stopped or slowed down. But it was beginning to look like they weren't slowing down or turning away from it.

Madrigal asked for confirmation that the helm was hard over to which another officer confirmed that it was. With the engines in full reverse, the rudder turned all the way over, and the crew desperately holding their breaths, it looked like they would just miss the iceberg. But an officer at the bow yelled that it was going to hit and ran away from it. And, just as he said, the ship hit the ice hidden under the water.

Maddie and Adrien pulled away from their kiss when they felt the ship start to shake. Madrigal felt the shudder in the railing and his blood ran cold. Even the officer holding the helm could feel it. Nino, who was sleeping at the time, woke up when the iceberg hit. The cargo hold breached as the iceberg punched holes into the side of the ship, flooding every compartment it hit.

Mr. Brown, who was awake at the time, only noticed something was wrong when the drink that was next to him started to shake along with the little chandelier above him. Seeing that the situation might get worse staying like this, Madrigal ordered a hard-to-port to hopefully stop the iceberg from doing any more damage. Little did he know at the time that it only made it worse. The iceberg finally reached where Maddie and Adrien were and the ice broke off from the iceberg, falling onto the deck.

Madrigal watched the Iceberg go past, knowing that they still weren't able to avoid it. In the boiler room, it was all filling with water, doing quick work to snuff out the fires in the boilers. The workers were quick to head to the exits. Madrigal ran inside to flip the switch that closed the bulkhead doors to keep the water contained. All the boiler room workers ran to escape the room before the doors sealed them in.

Of course, not all of them managed to escape in time and some just barely managed to escape. But all the doors had been sealed. Madrigal hoped that it would give the ship a chance to make it to America safely. Any passengers who were awake watched the Iceberg go past, seeming way too close for comfort. Maddie and Adrien watched as they sailed away from the ice, wondering if they were going to be safe.

Madrigal turned to an officer, telling them to note down the time of the collision and enter it into the ship's log. The Captain walked out of his cabin after feeling the collision. The Captain asked Madrigal what had happened and, still in shock and sweating, Madrigal told the Captain about the iceberg and everything he did to try and avoid it, sadly reporting that they did hit it. The Captain ordered him to seal the bulkhead doors only to say that he already had.

The Captain then told him to stop the engine completely before looking to see if there was any visible damage. He then looked at the deck below him to see the ice that had fallen on board. He told Madrigal to go and get Mr. Brown to assess the damage. Nino got out of bed only to be met with freezing cold water filling the cabin. He turned the lights on to see the damage.

He opened the cabin door to see Sean running from his cabin to somewhere other than there. Up in First Class, a lady walked out of her room and stopped a crewmember, asking him why the engines had stopped, and said that she felt the shudder. The crewmember assured her that it was likely that they had thrown a propeller blade and that was the shudder she felt. Meanwhile, Mr. Brown quickly rushed past the two, heading to the Captain's cabin with worry plastered on his face.