04} A single tear

Chapter 4

The week had gone by so quickly, and it was Wednesday already. Logan was due to return tomorrow, and I had to pick him up from the airport, since his parents were having one of their fancy house parties. I hadn't seen Wade since the party the other night, but we'd texted a bit since then. It wasn't much, but it'd go like this: he'd sent a funny picture, I'd 'LOL', and he'd send an emoji. As for Annabeth, we'd been hanging out pretty much every day after school, either going to the mall or watching films.

"So Logan comes back tomorrow?" Annabeth asked, sprawled at the end of my bed. "It feels like he hasn't' been around for ages."

I nodded. "I'm going to pick him up from the airport. Wanna come?"

I was really excited to pick up Logan, I really did miss him. It was a shame though, because it felt like I had grown closer to Annabeth since he'd gone. I couldn't wait to see him - after picking him up, we were going to his parent's party, and I was to stay the night. We'd probably not do anything though. . . I couldn't with his family downstairs.

"I can't, sorry," Annabeth frowned, tucking her golden hair behind her ears. She explained to me that she had a test to revise for that she had on Friday, and had no time to come with me. "Why don't you ask Wade?"

"No, I couldn't do that," I told her. "That would be weird."

For some reason, the thought of bringing Wade with me to the airport seemed unusual. I was unsure why, but I didn't want him to be there when Logan and I hug and kiss at our little reunion. Too awkward. I thought about why it bothered me so much, but nothing came to mind.

"Why not?" Annabeth asked, obviously.

Not being able to think of a good enough reason, I thought why not. I slipped Wade a text asking if he'd like to join me. It could've been cool, anyway. It would be nice to have had some company for the drive up anyway.

I logged into my email for the second time today to check if Logan had gotten back to me since the night of the party, Saturday. I'd assumed he'd been busy in London, so I didn't take much notice to it. I smiled at the notification for one unread message, which I opened immediately.

Hey Avery,

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner, it's been really hectic over here and hard to get an internet connection. I'm glad to hear you have a good time, but why were you at a party? I didn't realise it was your thing. Also, watch your back with Wade, babe. Don't want you getting into trouble.

Hugs and kisses

- Logan

After such a long wait, I was sort of disappointed with his response. It definitely wasn't four days' worth. Also, it kind of bugged me that he seemed annoyed about the party. I mean, they weren't my thing, but it was fun. On top of that, I didn't quite get his problem with Wade. Of course, I knew he's always in trouble but it's always Logan who's saying he feels sorry for him. It all seemed a bit unusual. Not knowing what to reply, I closed my email and decided I'd respond later on.

**

Two hours later, and Wade still hadn't replied. Annabeth had left me to revise in her room, and I was suddenly stuck for anything to do. I got up from my bed, and slipped my feet into my house slippers and made my way downstairs. On the brown, leather couch in my lay my mum and dad, snuggling up watching those boring cooking shows my mum loves. My dad hated them, but he'd do anything for a snuggle with my mum. Often, she was too busy with work.

"Ave, I was thinking tonight for dessert we could have cupcakes," my mum told me, probably inspired from her cooking show. "Would you pop over to Cherie's Cupcakery for me?"