The Unseen

Tarryn and Mia plopped down across from each other at a retro cafe. Soft light surrounded them, setting them apart from the chatter and sound of glasses clinking in the background.

"You've had a day that could inspire a bad action movie," Mia quipped, sipping her wine. "Explosions and secret inheritances only need a car chase to complete the set."

Tarryn smirked, stirring her pasta absentmindedly. "Well, in that case, my life has reached peak cliché. What's next, a dramatic love triangle?"

Mia raised her eyebrows. "A psychic love triangle," she corrected. "Don't forget the supernatural part when you heard the voice telling you to duck."

Tarryn chuckled, shaking her head. "Of course, the psychic bit. I guess it's time to embrace my role as the misunderstood heroine with mystical sixth senses," she said, her tone oozing sarcasm, but her eyes twinkling.

"Only misunderstood by yourself," Mia shot back. "You're more of a Sherlock with intuition on steroids. It's not magic, Tar, it's your reality. Your psychic abilities have gotten us both out of some tricky situations. Remember the house party we threw back in high school, when my parents took that trip to Miami and you had a sudden vision that they decided to come back a day early?! I still can't believe how quickly we were able to cleanup and hide the evidence," Mia chuckled.

Tarryn laughed. "So now you're encouraging me to use my witchy skills for good instead of evil?" Tarryn smirked. "You're either turning into my personal life coach," she said, "or my enabler. I can't decide which."

"Why not both?" Mia proposed, grinning. "Part-time life coach, part-time enabler of your wild psychic awakening."

After paying the bill, they ventured into the bustling atmosphere of a night market. Strings of lights dangled from booth to booth. They wandered deeper into the market until Mia's eyes gleamed at the sight of a psychic's stall, tucked away from the main road. A sign above it read "Evelyn: Seer of Secrets and Paths Unveiled." The space itself was an oasis of calm amidst the commercial chaos – a welcoming enclosure with a soothing energy. Dried herbs hung from the ceiling, and the air was tinged with the sweet scent of burning sage.

As Tarryn's gaze locked onto the entrance of the stall, there was an almost magnetic pull, a sensation deep within her that whispered this wouldn't be her only visit.

"Alright, Ms. Psychic Denier, time for a reality check," Mia challenged, nudging Tarryn gently towards the stall.

Rolling her eyes but wearing an indulgent smile, Tarryn conceded. "Fine, Mystic Mia, lead the way to my cosmic reckoning," she replied.

Inside the stall, the energy shifted palpably. Evelyn had been sensing the presence of someone significant drawing near for a few moments before the curtain was pulled aside. She sat behind the table, waiting. As Tarryn entered, Evelyn felt a resonance, a powerful vibration that seemed familiar and yet unknown.

Evelyn's silver hair cascaded in waves down her shoulders, framing a face that was both kind and sharply intelligent. Her eyes, a surprising shade of vivid green, scanned the newcomer.

From Evelyn's perspective, there was a fleeting moment when she first saw Tarryn—a strange blend of déjà vu and anticipation. Tarryn's energy was vibrant; Evelyn felt the weight of her purpose in that instant, knowing that she was about to unveil truths that would forever change Tarryn's trajectory.

"You have a potent energy," Evelyn declared softly as she peered into Tarryn's eyes. "You're a bridge between two worlds, constantly toeing the line but afraid to fully walk across."

Tarryn cocked her head, her curiosity piqued despite her skepticism. "A bridge, you say? Is there a troll involved? I do demand tolls for crossing," she quipped.

Evelyn chuckled warmly, not missing a beat. "No trolls," she assured, "just a future where your gifts are not a sideshow, but the main act. You have insights, intuitions that go beyond the normal—yet you second guess and question these insights, treating them as mere coincidences."

She gently reached for Tarryn's hand, her own hands surprisingly warm and steady. "There is a distant relative in your family. I feel her here, next to me. She passed not too long ago. Her story is interwoven with your own, more than you realize," Evelyn continued. "Her energy surrounds you like a protective cloak, and she is urging you to embrace what you've long denied."

Tarryn's playful demeanor sobered slightly at the mention of this distant relative. It must be the energy of her great aunt who the psychic was picking up on. "She was psychic too?" Tarryn asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

Evelyn nodded. "In her own way, yes. And she knows the burdens such gifts can carry. She does not want you to walk that path alone."

Tarryn felt a gentle squeeze from Mia, who stood beside her silently offering her support, and it was grounding. Tarryn took a deep breath, her skepticism softening into genuine curiosity.

"Alright," Tarryn said slowly, "so, if I'm this bridge... where does it lead? And how does it connect to this... new job?"

Evelyn smiled, her eyes reflecting something akin to pride. "To a place where logic and intuition are not enemies, but partners," she explained. "A role where your unique blend of skills—as a researcher and as a seer—will be your greatest asset. You're destined to be a truth-seeker, in more ways than one."

Exiting the stall later, the atmosphere around Tarryn and Mia seemed to have shifted subtly. The vibrant energy of the night market seemed both sharper and more serene, as if reflecting Tarryn's own changing perspective.

"That was some Hogwarts-level insight," Tarryn teased, but her playful tone didn't quite reach her eyes, which looked distant, contemplative.

Mia bumped her shoulder gently against Tarryn's. "See? Not so terrifying to acknowledge that there might be a bit more 'woo-woo' in your life than you thought."

Tarryn sighed theatrically but then smiled genuinely at her friend. "I must admit, it was enlightening," she conceded. "And if I'm the psychic Sherlock, then, Watson, we have mysteries to solve."

.