Chapter 1: The Forest

(Hi! Thank you for reading my story :) Neteyam and my oc are 18.)
_________

The forest embraced me, soft grass supporting my weight as I walked through the brush. Beautiful plants surrounded me on all sides, the small chittering of animals filling the air. I knew I was dreaming right away, as dreams of this unknown forest weren't unusual to me.

I walked aimlessly forward, letting my hands brush against the flowers and plants as I moved. My ears twitched as a branch snapped behind me, but I didn't feel scared at all.

I knew it was him, and a sense of calm filled my chest. He visits my dreams often, although I didn't know his name.

"Hello again," I whisper, turning around to face the man in front of me. A small smile curled onto my lips, my tail twitching in delight at seeing him.

He didn't speak, but his eyes softened as we looked at each other. He was a bit taller than me, adorned with dark blue stripes and glowing yellow eyes.

This was far from our first encounter, as we had become sort of friends within my dreams. He often showed up within the forest, following me and walking with me in silence. He's never spoken to me despite my attempts at talking to him, only gifting me with soft gazes and silent company.

I took a step closer to him, extending my hand out to the Na'vi. He looked down at my hand and back up at my eyes, a gentle smile gracing his face as his large hand slipped into mine.

I curled my fingers around his hand, turning around and pulling him in tow with me. We quickly walked through the forest together, him following close behind me. I could feel his gaze on me but I didn't dare turn around, as I was used to his intense stares during our encounters.

We reached a river and I let go of his hand to sit down next to the water, patting the space next to me for him. The water was beautiful, a sparkling blue with flowers and other water plants floating on the surface.

I kept my gaze on the water, watching the current as it flowed effortlessly. I felt him sit next to me, his braids swishing softly as he adjusted himself.

Leaning my legs forward, I dipped my feet into the water, shivering at the cool wetness. This action began to snatch me away from the tranquillity of my dream world, and I looked at the boy next to me in a panic as I felt myself begin to wake up. I reached a hand out to touch him again but it was too late, the world around me began to blur.

____

Cool water gently lapped at my feet, waking me from my sleep. My eyes slowly opened, my hand quickly reaching up to shield them from the intense sun shining down on me.

Sitting up, I realized I had fallen asleep on the beach again, my feet close enough to the water's edge that it could reach me as it rocked into my legs once more.

So you were what stole me from my dream, I thought bitterly, glaring at the small waves.

The ocean seemed to play back with me, a larger wave crashing onto the shore and splashing up to my thighs.

I glared at the water as my mind drifted back to my dream, although it was becoming hazy now. No matter how many times I met that boy in my mind, his face was always blurry and unknown to me whenever I woke up. The forest, similar to the boy, was a stranger to me. I've only ever known the warm beaches of Awa'atlu.

"Nyla! Are you just going to glare at the water all day?" A light voice reached my ears, making them perk up. "There are visitors!"

I looked to my left to see Tsireya bounding towards me, her hand raised up as she waved me over.