Enjoy it while it lasts

The last twenty four hours had been cold, moody and dark. A wet drizzle covering the world and its inhabitants, layering everything in a miserable haze. It wasn't the sort of refreshing rain- that made you feel alive when it pelted down on you- no. It was a pointless miserable rain that covered you head to toe in a thin layer of moisture.

The dreariness of the day had been shared with the occupants of the earth, especially that of a certain dark hedgehog, who was staring out of his window, nursing a cup of black coffee.

Just like many of Shadow's possessions, the cup was plain white, no pattern to be seen.

Shadow had spent the past few hours contemplating the feeling that was flowing through his chest. It was a yearning for something- a feeling and a fleeting moment that passed many moons ago.

Rouge said it was heartbreak. Shadow said there was no such thing.

His eyes glazed over as memories from days gone by flooded through his head. The striped hedgehog never figured out what went through a certain blue hedgehog's brain as he – per usual – sped through his life, gushing around at a million miles an hour.

Sonic.

The name threw Shadow into a deep, heavy, aching longing. Anger, confusion and loss tore through his system as the dark hedgehog suddenly pawed at his face, a gloved hand smacked his muzzle and a choked gasp left his lips. Damnit- why was he always so easy to get riled up over this shit. The way Sonic had spoke to him and always showed care for him over the years had affected Shadow more than he was willing to admit.

He didn't notice when he himself began  to appreciate the hedgehogs attempt at somewhat of a vague companionship/friendship. He ended up warming up to Sonic as the months crept by, enjoying his playful banter significantly more so than he had in the past. The dark hedgehog still presented his own irritable demeanour towards Sonic on the outside, but inside he always felt at peace with Sonic around.

It annoyed him- sure, but slowly, he began to crave it. Sonic had worn his tough corners down, had made him desire the hedgehogs trivial conversation more than he ever wanted to admit.

Shadow pushed his hands further against his head, running a gloved palm down his face, biting his knuckles as an unwanted memory invaded his brain.

Sweet chaos- ...That damned Christmas party....

xxx

Rouge fluttered her winds impatiently, proceeding to wrap the black velvet appendages around herself to warm her upper body in the biting December breeze. Her attire was virtually no different to normal; however had swapped her usual pink and white leotard for a red and white one. White fluff was edged around the red heart on her chest, with a glittery red skirt to replace the one piece she'd normally be wearing.

Shadow on the other hand stood next to her, looking no different whatsoever, other than a slightly 'tolerable' green Christmas jumper he'd been forced to wear. He was at least grateful for it in creating a shield between him and mother nature this cold evening, as they stood outside Sonic's residence waiting for someone to answer the door.

"I could just teleport us in ther-"

"No!- don't be so rude!" Rouge bristled.

As if on cue- the bright red door swung open with force, rattling the Christmas wreath that was hanging against the knocker.

"You guys are late. Come in" Knuckles stood, his arms spread, one holding the door and the other leaning against the wall.

"...wardrobe mishaps." Rouge narrowed her eyes at her colleague turned friend. They would've definitely been here on time if Shadow hadn't been complaining about Christmas jumper choices.