[4] POINTING CANDLEMAKER

Loud chimes reverberated across Isle of Dawn, drawing Nirabata's attention. The wind stirred his hair in a pleasant caress that made him feel calm once more. Somehow, it felt like a whisper that everything would be okay.

      He took a deep breath and took a couple of steps in the direction of the sound, however, he didn't go too far when he suddenly found himself facing a wall of earth. With the fog so thick, he couldn't tell if it was a small obstacle or if it stretched out like a wall. However, Nirabata gave a little jump and only touched the edge. He wasn't tall enough to hold himself up and push himself up.

      He lowered his eyes, and to one side of his feet he looked at a rock protruding from the sand. He crouched down and began to dig around it, gradually discovering that it was a vase. No doubt that would help him reach the edge of the wall.

      The boy yanked hard on the jug until he pulled it out of the sand. He dragged it to the wall and then climbed on it, finally getting out of the area.

      Not having much to look at, Nirabata just walked slowly. Hunched over and hugging himself, he followed the sound of the bells that had already stopped.

      With no notion of time, much less space, he didn't know how long it took him to make his next discovery, which was a strange invisible wall that suddenly blocked his way. He raised his eyes, stretched out his hand, and the invisible wall rippled like water, and then a constellation appeared on it. Glowing dots and lines just like the murals in the cave, shaped like a staff.

      Nirabata instinctively looked around, discovering to his left a dim blue light. He ran towards it, freezing after realizing that it was a man kneeling, hunched over and with his arms wrapped around his abdomen. Was he dead?

      The little boy closed the distance and instantly energy fluttered within him. He brought his hands to his chest and the flame appeared in his palms as he pulled them away.

      "Bring our light to the fallen spirits." He remembered the phrase.

      Then, Nirabata brought the flame closer to the man, and a light spread over the motionless body until it blinded him for a second. Then he saw the man glow and stand up, heading into a cave behind him, which he hadn't noticed before. The boy walked after him.

      Inside the cave, the mist was thinner and the darkness was broken by the man who seemed to be talking to two ghosts; a girl and a woman.

      Nirabata tilted his head watching that silent interaction between those... people?

      The wall lit up drawing people and candles. Apparently the man was explaining about the painting to his companions. Then the three of them walked to the left where there was a table with various objects and candles. The man took a few things, showing them how candles were created. The girl seemed very excited.

      Finally, they walked further to the left where another painting appeared. People going towards what looked like a giant man, with a long beard and a cane. Higher up clouds, and higher up a castle.

      The spirits left the cave and Nirabata saw them disappear inside a rock with the same position that the man had at the beginning. A black rock that seemed to be broken and hollow, for between the gaps came a blue light.

      The boy approached the stone and again brought out his light and gave it to the rock. It began to vibrate and fall apart until the man was released.

      Nirabata watched the girl and the woman board a floating boat made of carved stone. In the boat there were vases and candles, and the two people were happily saying goodbye to the man, who was pointing in a direction, where the bells resounded again. Then the memory fell apart and formed a ball of light that floated in the direction of the chimes.

      Nirabata was surprised that the man just kept walking through the cave, going in and out as if he was waiting for someone. Sometimes sitting down and other times making more candles. It was possible that he did not look at him, because he simply ignored his small presence that followed him at every step.

      Suddenly, Nirabata felt exhausted and just curled up on the ground until he fell asleep. Although the man only seemed to be a ghost, at least he wouldn't feel lonely anymore.