002

El and Uncle Hopper live in a small cabin on the outskirts of town. It's cozy, quiet, minimalistic, and I absolutely adore it. My cousin on the other hand, hates being so far away from her friends. Most weekends, when Hopper is working, her and Max spend most of their time in my spare bedroom. I don't mind it, the constant giggles and smell of baked goods and popcorn fill the lonely house with a sense of happiness it craves during the week. 

I sit at the small kitchen table leveled with sugar packets while Hopper goes to the fridge, grabbing a beer for himself and a soda for me. "So, how was mom today?" I ask, taking a sip of the bubbly beverage.                 

He sighs, giving me a solemn look. "Not herself."               

Six months after my dad died, my mom found out she had a malignant brain tumor that had spread to the surrounding lymph nodes in her body. She chose to keep that diagnosis to herself until her and I moved to Hawkins. She went through two rounds of chemotherapy to lengthen the amount of time she had left with us, but the disease has slowly eaten away at her memory and quality of life.              

Three weeks ago, while I was at school. She fell, dislocating her left shoulder and lacerating her forehead. She hit the ground so hard she knocked herself unconscious. Following that, Hopper and I knew it was no longer safe for her to be alone. She needed to be somewhere she could frequently be monitored.

Choosing to remove my mother from her own home was one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make. Coincidentally, it was also the same day I found out about Steve and Nancy's ultimate act of betrayal.

Talk about kicking a girl when she's down.               

"So, why are you hanging out with an old man like me on a Friday night?"

I shrug my shoulders, twisting the aluminum tab on top of the can. "Backstabbing boyfriend, remember?"

"Ahh, right." Hopper nods as he drinks from his chilled bottle. "I can always pull him over if you want...rough him up a little" he offers, wiggling his bushy brows.

I snort and fizzy carbonation tickles my nose, typical Uncle Hopper. I can always count on him to make me laugh. 

"Seriously kid, go make friends...you're gonna need them." His voice is rough and full of emotion, but his eyes remain soft. I knew exactly what he meant...he just couldn't bring himself to say it out loud. 

My mom was going to die, and he didn't want me to be alone when she did.               

I stood to leave, tossing my empty can into the trash. "Guess I better go then. Lots of socializing to do."

"Be safe, Em. Call me if you need anything."               

Shit, right. I almost forgot.

"Oh, by the way, El got her period" I add, patting his broad shoulders, and walking towards the door.      

It's a comical sight, watching the town's brute of a sheriff crumble at the mention of such a common occurrence. Unable to help myself, I double over laughing as he chokes on his beer.

"Don't panic, old man. I already talked to her and got her everything she needs" I assure. "Just uh—don't make it weird and cut her a little slack this week, alright?"              

Face red, he nods his frazzled head and gives me a look of thanks as I wave goodbye.

------⦅❀⦆------

After leaving Hoppers, I stop by the house to grab a bite to eat and freshen up. I'd decide on a black slip dress, tights, and my Docs. Glancing at myself in the hallway mirror, I adjust the recognizable flower in my hair, toss on my jean jacket, and quickly leave before the warm familiarity of home causes me to change my mind.