Prologue / bent the truth too far

Title from: High Infidelity by Taylor Swift

My hands are trembling as I reach for the dress from the floor. The soft satin material knocking me sick as I gather it in my hands, pulling it back over my head. "This..." I begin with a shake of my head so minuscule it couldn't have even be seen. "This never happened." I say quietly, the words almost leaving me as a whisper no matter how determined they are.

Lando only shakes his head, at first I think he's disagreeing then the words "Shitting hell!" Leave his mouth and I realise he's in disbelief too.

What the hell have we done?!

It's the question I've been asking myself in increasing disbelief since my eyes peeled open and I turned not to find my shirtless boyfriend in bed beside me, but another man. Not any man but his friend, one of his best friends.

It all came back to me in brief blurs when I jumped away from Lando's naked body. Him suggesting I join the party instead of wallowing over George. How his hand fell to my back at the bar of the club. How I suggested we leave then couldn't find my key and ended up trailing behind him here. How over a sobering glass of water his lips seemed to fall on mine as our heads spun with tequila shots.

The thought of us tearing the clothes off one and other made the nausea settle so solidly in my stomach that I felt I could throw up.

I did throw up, still naked with Lando's hand smoothing soothing circles on my back whilst asking if I was okay until I shouted at him to get out.

I can't think about it.

It never happened.

"We have to tell him." Lando has only spoke in disbelieving mutters since his own eyes peeled open, wide with shock at what we've done. This is the clearest thing he's said in twenty minutes.

"We can't." I choke out, eyes widening as I smooth the dress out over, as if my hands touching it will erase Lando's touch of the fabric.

"He's my friend, we have to tell him."

"And he's my boyfriend, we can't." I snap in return watching as Lando wipes another hand over his face. "What good would come out of telling him?" I ask and the man who my boyfriend (who I love with my whole heart) considers such a good friend just shrugs. My throat tightens. "I lose him and you do too." The thought is enough to make my heart crumble inside of me, I'm pretty sure I've already broken it.

"Carla..." Lando is appalled at my words but he knows they're true.

"I have to go. I have to get out of here."

"You can't just go! We need to talk about this."

"About what? About how I slept with you last night as if I didn't have a boyfriend?! About how you forgot my boyfriend is also one of your best friends?"

"W-we need to..." Lando huffs. He's right, we do need to...do more than this. I can see the cogs turning in his mind, fingers running through his thick curls. The thought of them between my fingers makes my eyes flit away, guilt hitting me with another punch to the gut. "You stayed here because you couldn't find your keys. You took the couch and gave me shit about it, it's not the gentleman-" This time when Lando interrupted, but not by me.

His phone is buzzing against the bedside table and it's as if we both know who's calling. From the terrified look on my face you'd think he were about to walk into the room. Lando has paled, lips parting and my chest rattled through a heavy inhale.

George's name dances on the screen of the phone, taunting us both.

I'm shaking my left hand just for something to do as Lando reaches for the device. He eyes me as if to ask what to do, I can only look away, hand covering my mouth with nausea. There's a moment of silence as the phone continues it's ringing, torturing me slowly before Lando slides his thumb across the lock screen of his phone.

"Hey mate." Lando greets into the phone the room crackling with silence after he says that. His words are casual but his whole body is tense. His eyes flick around the room in panic, wiping another frustrated hand through his hair. Only Lando's fingers don't leave his scalp as they usually would, he just stays frozen, boxer-clad and leaning over the edge of the bed, head in hands listening to George. "Yeah, she's here." I think I might pass out. Could that happen? That wouldn't be insane, right? "No, nah, don't worry about it." I swallow heavily trying to control the shake of my hand. "She lost her keys so stayed here, yeah." at least that part isn't a lie.

"Yeah, I'll get her one minute." Lando's words make my eyes widen.

I can't breathe. The oxygen has been vacuumed from the room I swear. My heart pounds in my chest so hard I can feel it in my finger tips. I can't breathe. I can't do this. I've fucked it up. How stupid can you be?!

"Calm the fuck down Carls." Lando hisses into my ear, shoving the device into my hands. His eyebrows are furrowed in complete frustration at this situation as I raise his phone to my ear clearing my throat.

"Hey baby,"

—-
Okay, a different and messier one from me but I'm excited for this! Rest of the chapters are coming soon!

Also no playlist, the playlist will be in the chapter titles!

Hope you enjoyed

❤️