Chapter 3: The Story Of Two Lovers

Iroh's POV

"It may seem surprising, but there is a legend in the fire nation of a love story between two women." 

"Two women?" Zuko asks clearly confused.

I laugh at his expression. "Yes nephew, two women. It may seem strange with all the homophobia and anti-gay laws in the fire nation. But it's surprisingly well known and excepted."

"Does my father know this story?" Zuko asks cautiously.

"Yes, Prince Zuko, your father, he knows the story," I say

"Then why didn't he tell me about it?" Zuko asks. 

"I haven't even told you the story yet, how would you know if he told the story or not?" I say trying to avoid the subject. 

"He never told me any story about two female lovers," Zuko exclaims getting frustrated, "I think I would remember the story if he told me it."

"Zuko, your father isn't the most excepting of gay and transgender people." 

"Oh," He says sadly. I know he always longs for his father's acceptance, hence the chase of the Avatar, so I knew this news might affect him if my suspicions are correct. Then he asks, "What's 'transgender'?" 

"It's when a person doesn't feel connected with the body they were born in. For example, a transgender man. He is born in a female body, but feels like a man." I explain. "Another example is a non-binary person. That is someone who doesn't feel like either gender." 

AN: If anyone feels how Iroh explained it is incorrect or offensive in any way, please let me know. Also, nothing about the story is canon in any way, shape, or form, and it probably sucks. It's completely made and I don't know if it contradicts any canon lore, however, I'm too lazy to check. 

"I think I get it now," Zuko says. I can almost see the gears turning in his head.

"Good, now, on with the story." I begin "A long time ago, there was a civil war in the fire nation. The Firelord had twins. A girl and a boy The princess despised violence and war. She always tried to use diplomacy and avoid conflict in any way she could. She was a peacemaker, the complete opposite of her brother."

"Let me guess, he liked violence and wanted to go to war," Zuko said.

"You're correct," I say.

"I guess it runs in the family." Zuko laughs, but it was cold and humorless. 

"Yes, unfortunately, it does." I sigh, "Passed on from your great-grandfather to your grandfather, to your father, and then to your sister." 

"My sister definitely, no doubt about it," Zuko said, disgusted at the mention of his sister, Azula, whom he resented.

"It wasn't passed onto you, however. You're too much like your mother." Zuko's expression saddens me at the mention of his mother and I continue. "Ever since you were a child you have always had a strong sense of kindness and empathy. Always trying to help people in any way you can. Always standing up against what's wrong."

"Well look where that's gotten me! Banished from my home and sent on an impossible mission." 

"No matter what Zuko, you must never lose sight of what's right. Let the princess be a good example of that." I say trying to get back on topic. "Her brother was the general fighting against the rebellion. Even though they were fighting on the same side, the war caused a great rift between the siblings. The princess pleaded with her father to try and end the war, and try to compromise with the rebelling citizens, but her efforts were in vain. The Fire Lord remained stubborn in his ideals, as did her brother."