ride

i watched through the car window as we pulled in the driveway of our house, all the lights were off. clay was probably asleep as it was 4 am.

a few moments later, george pulled me out of the car into the house, he sat me down on the couch. i suddenly felt very thirsty.
"stay here, okay? i'm gonna see if clay is home." george explained as if i could walk properly.
george ran up the stairs into clay's room.

i struggled to stand up from the couch. when i somehow got myself to the kitchen i took a cup and filled it up with ice cold water.
"should wake me up." i mumbled to myself before downing it in a few gulps.

after putting my cup back i heard a noise come from the garden.
"hello?" i spoke. "clay?"
i squinted but all i could see was darkness. until i saw an ugly face appear which made me jump. that was not clay.

"george!" i heard his footsteps coming down the hall as the person in our garden started slamming their body against the door.
"come on." george said grabbing me. "he's not home."
"there's a guy.." is all i could get out.
"hold on." george said grabbing a knife. "let's go."

as i sat in the passengers seat i noticed two bags in the backseat. "george what is happening?"
"dead people aren't really dead," he said matter-of-factly. "they come back. act aggressively. it's some sort of virus."
"i just don't understand," i stuttered. "and why did you have packed bags ready?"
"nobody understands. i just had a gut feeling—that we should be able to leave swiftly."
"but, george! we need to find clay and alyssa," i said, shaking my head.
george grabbed both of my hands. "we can't, we just need to make sure we are safe and hope that they are too."
"i hope you're right."
"together?" george said.
"together."

after driving for what felt like hours george stopped in the middle of nowhere.
"where are we? because if we're stranded here i don't think we're gonna survive. i won't survive, i can barely walk straight. what if there's dead people here and-" george cut me off.
"no we still have some gas left, but it would be smart to go to a gas station as soon as possible." george stepped out of the car. "just wanted to stretch a bit."
i looked around but all i could see around us was grass fields.