Family Time

A little over four weeks in and we had been told by the hospital that Chloe's physiotherapy was going well and there was talk of the stick going which I knew my girl would be delighted with, she saw it as more of a hindrance than help. My poor love said it made her feel old and frail when she wasn't. I didn't dare say that I really didn't care what she had to use as long as she was here by my side, I could understand it though which is why I was doing everything I could to help speed up her recovery.

We were going to go do something that Chloe loved today, swimming, because we'd been told it would help strengthen her muscles without putting too much strain on her body. Sarah and her partner, Alex, were joining us. We'd only been a handful of times since Aeryn was born, but when she was there it was apparent that my Princess was a water baby, her tiny legs kicking out in the water. I loved to play with her in the baby pool; it was always difficult knowing if I could be there, so when I got the opportunity to do these simple things a father should be able to do, I grabbed them with both hands.

"I look huge already Lucas, I really don't want to go and have people staring at me can't I just stay at home and you go out with Aeryn? I'm sure Sarah and Alex would understand…"

Chloe was nearly five months pregnant and to me she looked incredible, the little changes her to body seemed so noticeable to me, her curves were more pronounced, her hair was thicker if that was even possible. Then there was her beautiful bump, it was wonderful to see her body changing to protect our unborn baby I found myself lying next to Chloe resting my head on her swollen stomach telling baby Bean stories just like I had done when she'd been pregnant with Aeryn, of course it said in all the baby books to do it so your unborn child got to know your voice, I did for that but also because I just enjoyed doing it. I'd lie there with the book in my hand and Chloe would run her hands through my hair, often I'd fall asleep like that, close to my baby.

I pulled the shirt away from her and wrapping my arms around her, turning her to look in the large mirror in our room, my head was resting on her shoulder, and I kissed her neck quickly.

"Look in the mirror Chloe, this is what I see… my fiancée is carrying our child; she is the object of my love and desire every minute of every day. Her breasts are changing to make the milk our baby will need, her stomach is growing to help our baby get bigger and it's so sexy, her eyes are glowing with every emotion possible, her hair which I love is thicker and glossier than ever before. Her legs are toned and getting so much stronger, her arms that she wraps around me are healed the scars on them a symbol of her sheer determination to survive, her heart is pure and strong. She truly is, the most incredibly sexy, beautiful woman I have ever known."

I kissed the back of her neck again, my arms tightening around her body; I headed out of our room to the nursery to see my baby girl

"My gorgeous girl, it's true, you are stunning… you are not huge by any means, you are pregnant and are very, very sexy in my eyes. I love you Chloe with all that I am, now, go get ready we need to leave soon. Aeryn is ready, and so am I, I told Sarah when she called that there had been a slight delay and we'd see them in there."

I finally got her to leave and we headed for the nearby pool, Chloe was on edge I had to admit I hated what the hormone changes did to my girl in this respect, her already very fragile self -confidence got worse. At least Sarah would be there to help me with it by taking Aeryn for some of the time making it easier for me to help Chloe with some of the exercises the physiotherapist had suggested. I could hear Aeryn playing with the new duck toys I'd bought her for the car seat, all you could hear were the beads spinning as she spun the shapes around by knocking them followed by a little laugh. My little girl was so clever…

"Chloe, when we get there we'll do your exercises then you can swim, with one thing or another it's been too long since we've been there and I know how relaxed it makes you. Sarah, Alex and I will keep the Princess back there occupied, then we'll go home and have lunch together, I am sure there's still a million and one things you think we need for this wedding."

She smiled; a genuinely happy smile it was a joy to see. One thing that was a guaranteed way to get Chloe happy was the water she enjoyed the freedom it gave her.

Unstrapping Aeryn from the car seat, I carried our little girl into the building, her eyes following pretty much everything she could as it was busy. I loved coming here with her I'd lie in the baby area with her on me or gently float her over the water whilst she giggled.

My brave girl had left the stick behind, so I held Aeryn in one arm and my other was around Chloe as she carefully entered the water – insisting she was in no pain, she ventured forward on her own. I could see her gritting her teeth with every step and I wanted nothing more than to take that pain away, spotting Sarah and Alex the four of us were soon waist deep in the warm water, the ladies quietly talking, about the wedding no doubt it seemed not a day went by that our upcoming nuptials weren't talked about.

Passing Aeryn over to Sarah, I guided my girl to the quieter pool to begin our exercises, ensuring she was balanced and comfortable I gently wrapped my hands around her leg and lifted it slowly. My eyes locked on Chloe's as I tried to reassure her without saying anything that she was fine, rubbing her thigh with my fingers I saw the smile cross her face as she relaxed. We had to lift, hold and lower each leg ten times for a period of 3 minutes – the physiotherapist explained that it would strengthen her muscles back up which had been damaged in the attack.

After the fifth one, she insisted that she try and hold it up for herself, I stepped back and admired her, I could see the strength returning to her as she stood so still… balancing perfectly she succeeded in doing a further three before I saw her struggle. I moved and got hold of her leg, running my hand up massaging her calf and thigh. I could hear Chloe counting softly as we kept going for the final two moves. I was so proud of her, she was tired and aching yet the smile crossing her face was also full of true joy.

I kissed Chloe softly before leaving her to swim, she needed the time to just relax her body before returning to Sarah, Alex, Aeryn and I.

I watched her as she did her laps, her arms cutting through the water, her body at home in the water, my girl looked amazing.

"You really love her don't you?"

My attention was drawn back to the people around me; Sarah was swimming with Aeryn whilst Alex was watching me watch Chloe.

"How could I not, she's my best friend, as well as my fiancée and the mother of my children. She sees me and knows all of my past, including the dark stuff I never thought I could survive and she accepts it all. Why, you thinking of taking things a step further with Sarah?

I'm going to sound even softer than I already do right about now, but if you feel you cannot live without her, that life is empty without her in it, then you're ready to move forward."

He nodded and smiled, something told me that Sarah was going to get a surprise at some point and it was nice to know a good friend of ours was happy. I took Aeryn off Sarah and placed the inflatable duck I had bought for her and enjoyed watching her face as I pulled her around the baby pool. We'd had such a good day together and it was just what I needed as a break from work.