13| the betrayal

It had gotten quite a bit darker out in the Scorch where many survivors from WICKED and the Flare itself were living in, sand and everything else being seen all around

It had gotten quite a bit darker out in the Scorch where many survivors from WICKED and the Flare itself were living in, sand and everything else being seen all around. The group of teenagers had been able to find the Right Arm, all while they had been running away from WICKED. Brenda was able to get something injected into her to stop the Flare from taking over her body like it had done with many other people who had once been normal human beings, now turned into veiny, croaking and gargling cranks as they feasted of any living thing that came into their line of vision.

The sound of the pads of boots climbing up some rocks could be heard as Y/n continued to venture up in the direction of where her sister stood, blue eyes staring off into the distance as if she had been waiting for something. Even if she could hear the crunching of the sand from her younger sister's feet from behind her, Teresa didn't turn around to look at Y/n as the said girl continue to make her way up after leaving their group of friends down back on the rocks. The sky had gotten a bit darker out now, a slight orange-pink-ish color being seen in the distance as the sun was almost fully set.

"Hey, you okay?" Y/n calls out in concern, making her sister look to her. "What are you doing up here?"

Teresa shrugs, turning back around. "Just thinking."

"Alright, I'll let you be alone." Y/n assures, beginning to walk back down.

"Do you remember our mother?" Teresa blurts out, causing her to stop and look to the older girl.

"Uh, I think so." Y/n replies after a moment.

"I remember her." Teresa tells her, fully turning to face her younger sister. "She was a beautiful woman. Everybody loved her. And before WICKED, she was all we had. When she got sick, I didn't know what to do. I just kept her locked up. Hidden. I kept you away. I didn't want you to see her like that. I thought she'd get better. Every night, she'd make these awful sounds, like screaming. You would always hold onto me because you could never sleep, and you didn't want me to leave you. I would always try to read you stories to help you fall asleep. And then, one night, she just stopped. She was finally quiet. After I told you to stay put, I went down to her room. And there was blood everywhere. But she was just sat there, calm. She said she was feeling better. The visions were gone. She'd taken care of them. She took her eyes out, Y/n."

By the middle of her explanation, Teresa had tears pooling in her eyes as she had been staring at her younger sister the whole time. Y/n was frowning deeply, blinking back the tears at the description of the last time Teresa had ever seen their mother. A sniffle escapes the younger girl, wiping at her nose while she looked to Teresa, the two sisters staring at one another.

"There are millions of people suffering out there. Millions of stories, just like ours. We can't turn our backs on them. I won't." Teresa finishes, trying to make her voice firm at her last words.

Y/n furrows her brows, gulping. "What are you saying?"

"I'm saying, I want you to understand." Teresa admits.