Chapter 13

~~~

The beating of my heart quickened with every step, our front gate was up close but it felt so far away as I continued to shiver towards it. It all came rushing back, the fear of losing my parents because of their job, the fear of having to live my life as if I was a ticking time bomb, and the thought of having to live my life afraid of taking risks.

This was it. It could be answers, we could be served justice, we could be given clues or we would sit there and continue to wonder who would have the courage to try and take someone's for their own.

There were initial findings on the case, many investigations happened, there were abundance of people brought in for questioning. Who could have hired a hitman to shoot Attorney Vison? Who could have plotted this? To me, all the arrows point to the last case my dad handled. Now my hands shake as I try to enter the door, waiting for the justice we deserve.

"You can hold my hand if you're afraid to go inside alone." Gaeb whispered near my ear, I was calmed for a few seconds. "I don't want you to feel as if no one is with you, I'll be here love. We'll face this together. This isn't your fear now, it's ours."

I couldn't say a word, I don't how to tell him that I am so thankful that he's here. It was as if he was sent to me by fate, that he was made so that I would never have to feel alone in my battles. Gaeb took my hand in his, he intertwined them, he stared right into my eyes, and I felt brave. I was ready to embrace whatever it was that awaits.

When I entered the living room, I could see my parents there, seated with satisfied faces, there was also someone else in the room, it was Prosecutor Arevalo, one of my parents' colleague. When I caught a glimpse of the round coffee table, I saw a lot files placed on top of it.

"Ameelya, you're finally here!" My mom stood up and ran to give me a hug. I hugged her back, agitated to sit and hear all the details I was bound to hear. "Sorry if I called you in such a worrying way, I just couldn't wait for you to come home."

"What happened mom?" I asked, worried and thrilled at the same time. A part of me knows that this would eventually come out as good news, but still, the uncertainty of it all scares me to death.

"You might want to sit down." She gave me a warm smile and I immediately sat down beside dad, he seemed happy and satisfied, but unlike my mom, he kept composure and made sure his emotions weren't all over the place. "You too, Gaeb. Thank you for taking Amee home, I know you both had other plans."

"It's okay, this is much more important. Amee and I can always go there some other time." He smiled and sat beside me. I couldn't stop my curiosity, I had to know about the details as soon as possible.

"Someone dropped a bomb Amee, a witness appeared and confessed everything she knew before the day of the shooting. It was indeed plotted by the other party in the financial case your dad handled. When they lost the case, they lost millions of investment funds and even had millions of debt." She said calmly. "It was your dad who handled the case, he won against them. Your dad was the target."

"How was that dad's fault?!" I couldn't explain how I felt, but I am sure I felt anger somewhere deep down. "It was his job, of course he had to win the case, he had to help the victims get the justice they deserve so how is it dad's fault?!"

"I know, that's exactly what I said. Because of the strong and credible evidence, it's now certain that the case won't take long, months or maybe a year or so we'd have the verdict already. I can't wait to see them behind bars, they deserve to rot in jail after trying to take your father's life. They showed no mercy at all."