Chapter 5

"Dearest reader. It has been said that competition is an opportunity for us to rise and stand ready before our greatest of challenges well if what this author hears this morning is true, then a great challenge concerning this season's diamond has been set forth, indeed. Any suitor wishing to gain an audience with Miss Edwina Sharma must first tame the rather prickly spinster of a beast otherwise known as her sister and as well as their good friend Lady Blackwood, who has been asked for her hand more than 10 times since the ball maybe she's waiting on an old friend to ask.

Of course, the only competition that compels my attention is the game of courtship. So best of luck to this year's players. Do try not to stumble on the starting line. "

Kate and i decided to combine our heads and make a list of suitable suitors for Edwina and handed it to them we stood proudly "Lord Lumley at the top" Lady Danbury said looking up at us from the paper "Is he not something of a dandy?" Edwina asked "I would use the term gallant" i replied "Is that what you look for, Edwina?" her mama said looking at her "If Kate and Izzie believe in him, so do I" she said with a smile "I see you've left off Lord Bridgerton and what's the actual reason Esmeralda?" Lady Danbury questions "Oh, now he is what Edwina is looking for" Mary said "An oversight on your part, my dear?" Danbury replied looking at me mostly with her eyebrows raised "Lord Bridgerton is quite adept at conveying false first impressions" i spoke up "What did you hear?" Lady Danbury asked "Have you forgotten how close we were and why we grew apart besides that he stated rather clearly that he seeks a wife only to fulfill his duty and does not believe in love at all"

"And you find this unusual? Most marriages of the ton are, in fact, mere matters of business, my dear, matters that have been working for centuries. It is a true love match that is quite rare like your mother and father" i was about to speak but Kate stopped me "you know what it is you are looking for, Bon you must not forget it Lord Lumley will turn the viscount into a distant memory I am certain" she said stepping closer to Edwina smiling down at her.

Most of the morning we all sat in the tea room and in walked suitor after suitor either for Edwina or me and gift after gift. I hate these flowers there just going to get discarded as soon as everyone leaves. After the last guy i was tired already "this is something i did not miss" i said standing up and stretching my legs and back "we have the royal races today don't forget that" Lady Danbury said and i nodded "let's get going shall we" i said grabbing my umbrella.

As we walked i soaked up the sun i do enjoy getting out every now and then i looked back at Kate who was walking with Lord Lumley and Edwina before turning back and smiling at myself "What's with the smile?" Lady Danbury asked "nothing I'm just happy Edwina found someone," i said and she glanced back at them "Ah you are or are you happy that you're done with those suitors today"

"That as well" i said and we both laughed then "Lady Danbury I would be so honored if you could facilitate a proper introduction I fear my calling card got lost in the shuffle at your home this morning" a man said walking up to us "Of course" she replied before turning around "Mr. Thomas Dorset, allow me to introduce Lady Blackwood, Miss Sharma, and Miss Edwina Sharma"

"A pleasure"

"I am afraid Miss Edwina Sharma already has an escort for today, Mr. Dorset" i spoke up trying to not hurt his feelings he seems like a nice guy "That is very well though I was hoping to speak with you" he said and i looked at everyone as they walked away with a smile on their face "How are you finding the season, Lady Blackwood?"

"It is a season Mr. Dorset, I really should-"

"London is a far cry from Wintergreen. It is where you traveled from, yes?"

"It is not that far but yes"

"I have visited. It is a wondrous place you must miss it dearly especially the garden of flowers where quite beautiful" he said and i stopped before turning towards him "Oh, every minute of every day but most especially at teatime we should find our seats"