Chapter 5: What Happens in The Morning?

Dillion didn't make a move to grab my hand again as we walked back towards the park bench, nor did he try and start a conversation with me. Perhaps it was because we were eating ice cream. Maybe he was as lost in his thoughts about his actions as I was.

As we got to the bench with our stuff, Dillion didn't make a move to sit back down. I stood next to him for a moment before I broke the silence.

"Are you ok?" I asked, keeping my voice light.

Dillion looked over at me before automatically replying, "I'm fine."

I held eye contact with him before slowly nodding my head in acceptance and safely placing a hand on his arm for support. Whatever it was, he would talk to me about when and if he felt ready. As I moved my hand away from the strong muscles in his arm, he reached out and wrapped his hand around mine, giving it another gentle squeeze. We stayed like that for a long moment before he let my hand go.

We finished off our ice cream before taking our seats on the bench and getting back to work. This time there was no doubt in my mind that Dillion pressed his leg up against mine on purpose. We worked steadily for an hour in companionable silence before the sun started to set.

"I think we might have to call it a night," I said after a few moments of squinting to try and read through the fading light.

Dillion's hand casually dropped on my knee as he gave it a squeeze.

"I think you're right. Thank you again for coming to study with me," he said, giving my knee a second squeeze before taking his hand away and starting to pack up his books. I followed suit and gathered up my history book, notebook, and pen before stuffing them into my backpack. Dillion got up and once again took my hands and gently helped me back to my feet.

"I'll walk you home." He said, "I don't want you walking alone in the dark."

"Ok, thank you," I replied, putting my backpack on and grabbing the handles of my bike.

Our silence continued on the short walk back to my house, and I hoped my Dad was still gone. I couldn't get caught having Dillion walk me to our front door. I let go of the tension I had been holding as we rounded the corner in the path, and the house came into view. The windows were dark, and my Dad's car was still missing from the driveway. As we got to the porch, I stashed my bike on the side before Dillion grabbed my hand and walked me right to the door.

"Kye, is anyone going to be home tonight?" He asked with concern shining in his eyes.

I shrugged casually before replying.

"I don't know. My Dad might have to work overnight. It happens sometimes, but I'm ok being alone."

Dillion pulled me close to him protectively. "Call me if you need to tonight," he said before lightly brushing his lips on my forehead. With that, he stepped back, watching as I unlocked the door and stepped inside before turning and walking away. I stood at the door watching until he faded into the night. I took off my shoes and dropped my bag near the door before heading into the dark kitchen to make dinner before heading to bed. I pushed thoughts of Dillion out of my head, knowing that I would see him tomorrow, but the memory of his lips brushing my forehead played through my mind more than I cared to admit.

I woke up to my alarm with a smile on my face, excited to see what was going to happen with Dillion today. Would he try to hold my hand during school, or would he pretend it never happened? Just in case, I avoided telling Maddie, Cierra, and Hope about what happened yesterday. I didn't want them to get my hopes up even more despite the fact I could really use some advice on what the situation was from someone outside of it.

I took my time getting ready, spending a few extra minutes adding some curls to my hair and putting in a bit more effort into my makeup than my normal foundation and mascara. I grabbed out skinny jeans and a loose-fit cardigan to wear before I went downstairs to grab a granola bar and my backpack. I made sure I had my keys and phone as I headed out the front door.

I let my mind drift through my schedule today as I walked towards school, going through my checklist of any assignments that would need to be passed in today and preparing for what I was going to have to start in free block. As I approached the front of the school, I became more aware of my surroundings, subconsciously looking around to see if I could spot Dillion or one of the girls. I checked my watch as I didn't see any of them lingering out front before deciding it was close enough to 7:15 to head straight to homeroom.

I held my breath as I walked through the door. If Dillion was already there, would he want me to sit next to him, or should I wait to see if he waves me over? Would I look weird if I stood in the doorway looking for a sign? In the end, overthinking and worrying was for nothing. Dillion wasn't in the room when I entered. I walked to the desk I sat at last week and dropped into a chair, pulling my phone out. I stared blankly at my phone as the minutes went past, and the bell rang without any sign from him. Maybe he got in another fight with his Dad or just overslept? I slipped my phone away as Mr. Anderson called us to attention before going through the roll call.

"In other news, the Autumn Harvest Carnival will be next weekend. Tickets can be bought at the entrance or ahead of time from any of our student council members." Mr. Anderson explained once he finished attendance. The bell dismissing homeroom rang. We all slowly got to our feet, pulling our phones back out to use in between classes. I walked towards Creative Writing, debating if I should send Dillion a text checking in on him. Before I could make a decision one way or the other, I spotted him standing just outside my class.