That '90s Pilot

The drive to my grandparents house is always so long. I'm pretty sure that's why we rarely visit, also with my parents, and my own, busy schedules, I'm surprised all of us made it for the Fourth of July. My dad loads out of the car right away and my twin sister Leia follows right behind with her bag. Meanwhile I help my mom carry all the bags of our family since my dad and sister 'forgot' to help her.

"Y/n! You've grown so much as well!" Grandma Kitty rushes to hug me once she sees me.

"So Liea, I hear you got your mom's jump shot
and your dad's last name." Grandpa Red smirks and his dog at dad.

"I'm gonna take a bathroom break." Leia says akwardly since she can't take a compliment.

"Hey, hey, hey. Just be careful with the faucets.
The water comes out, like, scalding hot." Dad warns like he's fallen victim to the hot water many, many times.

"It's a normal temperature, Eric. You've just got that sensitive baby skin." Grandpa comments at dad.

"You know, I am so excited about this Fourth of July weekend." Grandma tries to change the subject, "We are gonna grill weenies,
watch the fireworks... I even rented The Little Mermaid."

"Oh. Thanks, Mom, but they're not really into that anymore." Dad sounds almost disappointed with us maturing but I decide to butt in myself.

"Your little mermaids... got they're periods." I manage to joke with a giggle earning a smirk from dad.

"God, Eric! Look what you're teaching this poor girl!" Grandpa says finally giving me a welcome help that seemed to turn into a protective hug.

I wiggle out of grandpas grip and carry my sister and it's bags up to the room we're sharing for the day we're here. She comes in while I'm unpacking and quickly picks up her basketball.

"I'm gonna go shoot." She says looking at me as if she wants me to join.

"I'll sit out in the sun and tan, but no way am I shooting with you again." I quickly respond before changing into my strapless swim suit and jean shorts. We walk downstairs as dad is talking about his promotion at the university.

"Hey, I'm gonna go shoot some hoops." Leia says walking into the room with me behind her.

"I'm going out with her to tan" I say putting my shades down.

"Hey, Leia, tell your grandparents what we're doing this summer." Dads says super excitedly.

"Oh, we're going to..." Leia starts responding but dad gets so antsy he cuts her off.

"We're going to Huntsville, Alabama, for a little father-daughter Space Camp." Right now dad looks like a fan girl talking about her celebrity. He is quite literally jumping up and down like a little girl. I quickly roll my eyes at his excitement though. He never invites me to those camps and stuff Leia and him go on. I guess I'm not nerdy enough for him? I'm not sure but I would give anything to be invited on one of those trips just to be able to spend time with dad and feel like he actually knows I exist.

"Just the two of us... for two weeks." Leia says sarcastically.

"Houston, permission to have fun, over." Dad acts as if he's speaking into a walkie talkie, "Houston, do you read me, over?"

-"Permission granted." Leia hesitantly responds.

"Yeah! But you... you didn't say "over.""

"And with that we are going now. Bye!" I quickly usher Leia outside before she gets too mad with dad.

For a bit Leia shoots around and we make small talk but then we hear someone singing. I'm way to lazy to check it out so Leia did and didn't come back for a while. The sun eventually goes down and I am one day closer to going back home.